earthing

I consider myself told off... :oops:

[slinks off into corner with tail between legs]

Sponsored Links
:oops: Actually, I think I was the one told off !

I only raised it within this thread because I was hoping for an answer from the people who had already commented on the subject and were more likely to read this thread than a new one, at least thats what the Vulcan would say :D

The reason I was worried was because an electrician that was asked to do a quote for replacing some lights in my motherinlaws house, refused to replace the lights unless he was paid to also rewire the whole lighting circuit. The house still has the old non earth light circuit. Anyway, that made me think about trying to future proof the new installation.

Apologies

Maybe I did word it a bit strongly, but the point I was trying to make is we have to work to the current edition of the regs.

An example is the current regs call for supplimentary bonding in a bathroom which it looks like will not be nescassary under the new regs, but for the time being it must still be installed.

The other problem being is that the 17th edition is still a draught document and will undoubtedly be edited and changed about before the final document is settled upon, so no one knows what the new regs will be yet, which means we can't work to them yet (and then find out its all wrong)

securespark said:
.... every circuit in the bathroom being RCD-protected....

Easy enough for some of us...

RF Lighting on another topic said:
Even has a stash of emergency spare RCBOs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
spark123
Which ever way the 17th goes, bonding just the bath in a bathroom to the MET is probably one of the most wrong things to do!!
why ?

and why not do both ?

johnad said:
spark123
Which ever way the 17th goes, bonding just the bath in a bathroom to the MET is probably one of the most wrong things to do!!
why ?

and why not do both ?

The whole idea of supplementary is to make sure by bonding together metallic parts & cpc's of circuits within that room that everything is at the same potential.

You don't want parallel earth paths - it is NOT connected to the MET for that very reason.

Same potential = No PD = No shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back