Easicom 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glow Worm Easicom 28 has hot water coming out of the cold water system and the delight of a warm toilet flush. The boiler was serviced by BG in February and because I rarely use the cold water tap I MAY not have noticed the problem immediately after - only in the last couple of weeks. Glowworm say that it can't be a Easicom 28 fault as the cold water draw is not linked but nothing has been done to my pipework so am I missing something? Is there an engineer out there who knows what MAY be going on.? My BG Home Service contract doesn't apparently include boiler repair so I'm stumped either way. What on earth is going on? Pressure is normal - in the boiler AT LEAST!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like either crossed pipe work or a failed mixer tap?

Hi Chris, Is that crossed pipework in the boiler? No pipework has been touched beyond the boiler. Don't have any Mixer Taps in the house - very old traditional taps.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Chris, Is that crossed pipework in the boiler? No pipework has been touched beyond the boiler. Don't have any Mixer Taps in the house - very old traditional taps.
Either the pipework at the boiler or beyond - but you’ve just said it’s not been touched and no mixers. Does the boiler fire up I presume?

Sponsored Links
I got fed up and switched the controls off but I still get a warm loo flush so the cold draw is still heating up. The refill of the loo cistern is warm but the feeder pipe is cold until I press the flush button. You can feel the heat warming up the cistern feeder pipe at that point and the cold tap starts cold but heats up. I'm convinced it's more to do with the boiler configuration during the BG service but I'm happy to be proved wrong. I just want it all to go back to normal!

Last edited:
Just an update. My electricity reading this month was very high and I have not knowingly used the amount on the meter. Could that be anything to do with the Easicom 28? I have completely switched the boiler off now and will monitor the reading. Looks like I will have to use British Gas afterall.

Easicom appears to come in Combi and System boiler form from a quick search on Glow Worm's website.

Do you have a hot water tank?
Is it an open vented system?
Could the HW tank be expanding and overflowing into the cold water feed tank that feeds the toilet flush cisterns and most cold taps (not the kitchen tap, usually).?

Could a (faulty) immersion heater be switched on to cause the water to boil over?

The Easicom 28 is a combi boiler. I have booked British Gas but they will take about 14 plus days.
A former heating engineer I know suggested a faulty Change over or Diverter valve. This is the likely culprit judging by Google searches and as BG never clear the filter for me despite being asked every time they come "no suitable spanner guv is the usual rsponse" I suspect a blockage perhaps has diverted hot flow into the cold or I'm just unlucky and the component has failed after 11 years - that's supposedly duration time!!! Anyway we'll see what BG say. Thanks to all responders by the way.

Final report. Hot water through the cold water tap issue probably related to a" cut out" device on the main electricity cable overheating and somehow making the cold water feed into the boiler "live".The electricity meter for May presenting me with an additional £300 bill - I supplied the reading no Smart Meter fitted yet. BG have just serviced the Easicom 28 and it passed with flying colours. If the Diverter valve was influenced in some way it stayed in remarkably good condition!!!! National Grid replaced the cut out but I had to pay an electrical company to connect the supply and upgrade the main board and the wiring to the boiler, just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back