Easier to put plasterboard than to plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I talked some plasterers to help me refurbish a house. They say it will be easier (and cheaper in the end) to put plasterboard on top of the existing plaster than to try and re-plaster. This is because of the state of the existing plaster: there are cracks (not on the block work), paint and loose plaster patches plus the walls are not flat.
Is this right? Will the plasterboard stick?
Here are some photos showing the state of the walls.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why does it have to be one or the other? Decide which is best for each individual wall.

As joe says, although it may be the case on some walls

Did they mention how they would fix the boards?

Without leading them on to see how they answer, I would find this out.

They should be using mechanical fixings into the bacground rather than just sticking them on.

Be careful of margins on frames, thckness for doorlinings etc if sticking boards

I'm suspicious of that advice . I may be wrong- but can they actually do anything other than board and skim? Would be interesting to see some previous work of theirs. Also why not get a quote form other people, and a quote from these for both methods?

As joe says, although it may be the case on some walls

Did they mention how they would fix the boards?

Without leading them on to see how they answer, I would find this out.

Yes I asked them, they said they would scrape the old plasterboard, (find out if it is loose where they would glue the new one at the same time), and then apply the glue on it.

I do not suggest solutions either, I ask them what they will do.

Sponsored Links
Maybe they can only skim on plasterboard? and they cant "float" walls properly. Skimming was easy to learn, floating took a long while for me to get it right!

i would nt listen to the replies you have had so far it is better to wait for some good advice from stevethespread and micilin and roughcaster

so do i not give good advice then? being a plasterer and all.?

As what i have found is ( being a plasterer ) people can skim, but cnt prepare walls properly. Its easier for someone to stick some boards up and skim them, rather than float the wall, glue it and skim it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back