? Easy to replace Chaffoteaux Flexiflue with Mains Medway FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys ... hoping a qualified tradesman has experience of this ... not something I'd dream of attempting myself. Any advice would be much appreciated!

In terms of wall fitting and flue positioning and its flue wall cavity size is the Mains Medway FF a relatively straightforward replacement fit for the Chaffoteaux Britony Flexiflue?

Background below!

I have a 4 storey Victorian house (no central heating!) and recently was able to get the old basement water heater directly replaced with a Mains Medway BF after 20 years of faithful service, no point in further servicing, the heat exchanger was burnt out! Fortunately it was a recognised straightforward direct replacement bar the plumbing & gas supply re-working.

Now, 2 floors up, the Chaffoteaux Britony Flexiflue of similar vintage is pretty well giving up the ghost. & expecting this to be much less costly, I am exploring connecting the new lower heater to the upper 2 floors for the washbasin & also for the bath on the top floor.

This involves running "plastic" pipework up from the basement up through the upper ground floor and then to where the Chaffoteaux's hot water supply branches to the washbasin & up to the bath above. Wouldn't really be effective in copper pipework given the very considerable call distance.

However, have just received a quote for £530 ( no vat, small business tradesman) for this work involving John Guest Speedfit material, c. 8 metres of 15mm pipe run, pipe fixings, 5 90deg bends (elbows?), 2 copper to plastic Ts and a couple of isolation valves, fixing/connecting both ends and then testing. Also capping off the hot & cold supply pipes to the exisitng heater which I'd leave in place & then get a qualified gas fitter to cap off rather than just leave the gas supply tap on the feed pipe turned off. However, am quite a bit taken aback by the cost of this pipe run though not in a position to know if this is unreasonable or not!?

Well, this set me thinking, the Main Medway FF costs c £480 vat incl., has much the same external dimension as the current heater and also a top flue vent of seemingly similar dimensions & position. The flue goes straight out over the heater with something like a 3-400mm horizontal run. Space is too restricted for any other BF application

So given the cost & heat loss involved on such a long run from the basement I'm hoping that if the Main Medway FF fitted into the same space, vent hole inclusive, then it might make much more sense to pay say £200 or so extra for installation & have a new water heater close to the upper washbasin & much used bath.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for this bump, plumber for re-routing h water supply re-visiting tomorrow for hot feed supply pressure test!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back