Which hot water boiler - electric or LPG?

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, that was in his first posting, but later on he says "shaving and washing up only", so I assumed he'd changed his mind.

( Jim, you see the trouble you cause by sloppy posting! We're a pedantic lot who take posters at their word. If you say "shaving and washing up only", we actually think you mean that! )

I've come to like small (upto 15 litre) unvented undersink water heaters. No wait for the tap to get hot (or VERY hot), very well insulated, no special wiring, not too expensive.

If the plumbing lends itself one of those could be used for most purposes, and a cheap vented cyllinder used only when baths are needed.
Washing machines are quite happy with cold fill only, heating only the water they need.

Thanks everyone for their comments. Couldn't reply earlier because I have been away from my computer.

As to my personal hygiene, I always use an electric shower, however I still have to provide for a bath. As was said a washing machine can work from the cold feed, so that's not an issue.

The cheapest solution is just replacing my old vented tank with a new and better insulated smaller one. But it seems such old-technology - heating up a mass of water every day, most of which will never get used. And as soon as you draw off some of it, more cold comes in and cools down the rest. And it takes up space.

If it wasn't for the bath, I could go for a multipoint or something, but everything I have seen seems to be designed for point of use or else for commercial applications. In fact the only sensibly priced option I have seen is the LPG Chaffoteaux Britony, which seems designed exactly for what I want - except LPG is so expensive in the UK. Surely there must be an electric alternative?

(Incidentally my supply has a 100A fuse followed by an 80A RCD.)

Sponsored Links
(Incidentally my supply has a 100A fuse followed by an 80A RCD.)

so assuming you can get an instant heater you are still sailing close to the wind
1 the rcd wont take it
2 the load assumes nothing else is on at the time of use ie lights ,tv,fridge,freezer etc

Zip do a 13 kw instantaneous heater : ILX12 is the largest for a single phase supply. (about 60A). - Should be fine for your intended use, it's tiny to at 330 x 210 x 110.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back