Which hot water boiler - electric or LPG?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a very old hot water tank installed on the ground floor which used to run of an Aga - now it just has an immersion heater. I would like to replace it with on-demand water heating. There is suitable location in a utility room adjacent to the kitchen. I don't have mains gas, so it will either have to be LPG or electric. The heater will have to supply a bath, wash basin, and kitchen sink, and possibly a washing machine

The most suitable LPG heater I have found is the Chaffoteaux Britony, but I would prefer electric. However can't seem to find any elec heaters on the web that are suitable (or maybe it's me misreading the specs!).

Any advice on which way to go would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevplumb, but I don't get it. I'm talking about water heating only, and oil would be overkill. I just need something simple - shaving and washing up only.

ny apologies i obiously misread the post :oops:

the same site does do cylinders

dont think you will get elec to suit what you want

ie instant hot water

Sponsored Links
best and cheapest would be an unvented cylinder on economy 7.

LPG in this country is the biggest rip-off in the trade, more than 4 x the price of Spain

Thanks doitall,

I was trying to get away from the idea of heating up a cylinder-full of water most of which I never use, and just cools down during the day. What I would really like is the electric equivalent of an LPG hot water boiler. Is there anything suitable from Heatrae Sadia for example?

But if there isn't anything available, and I have to store hot water, it seems to me the cheapest installation would be installing a small (900 x 400) vented cylinder in a linen cupboard (which is adjacent to the bathroom). Disadvantage is it ruins a perfectly good linen cupboard. Also I don't have Economy 7 so it wastes full price electricity.

I can solve the space problem by fitting an an unvented cylinder on the ground floor in an unheated outbuilding. But are there problems with that?

Also what about a cistern type tank? I must admit I am confused about what is suitable for a domestic situation. All the specs seem to assume a commercial application.

I was trying to get away from the idea of heating up a cylinder-full of water most of which I never use, and just cools down during the day. What I would really like is the electric equivalent of an LPG hot water boiler. Is there anything suitable from Heatrae Sadia for example?

if you could get an instant electric water heater assuming a decent flow and temp rise you are looking in the region of 24kw

that equates roughly to a 100 amp load (sparkies will no doubt jump on me now :LOL: )

is your incoming main up to it :?:

Good point! I don't know, but possibly not. I live in the country and the elctricity comes in via an oversail.

Go for the smallest storage cylinder you can find and lag it well. It will hold its heat all day. Put the immersion heater on a timer if you like so that the water is at its hottest just when you want it. Your linen cupboard will become a fully fledged airing cupboard from which you can get a warm towel when you want one. We would be lost without ours.

Since you don't have mains gas what are you using to heat the house? If it's electric then any heat lost from the cylinder contributes to your heating. It's not wasted at all - except during a heat wave like we've got right now! If you put the thing in an unheated outbuilding you really will be throwing heat (and money) away.

Thanks felix, that's one option I am considering. However I hate the idea of airing cupboards. They were necessary before tumbler dryers existed when things came in from the line still damp, but not today. As I live in Cornwall, for part of the year I am trying to keep the house cool, and a heat source upstairs is something I can do without.

To heat the house I have a multifuel stove and electic heaters, and have an electric oven with LPG gas rings. No central heating, by choice.

The choice seems to me to be an LPG boiler (with all its running and maintenance costs), or some sort of hot water storage that can be installed in an outhouse to save space inside the house. Frost is not really an issue as the temperature here hardly ever goes as low as 0 deg C.

A vented cylinder would be the cheapest, although there would be a problem running the vent pipe up to the loft cistern. So maybe an unvented cyclinder is the way to go.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about them, they are all pricy, and I don't find the manufactures blurb very helpful! :confused: For instance what's the difference between a cylinder such as Megaflo or a flat-back cistern? Maybe someone could suggest a product suitable for domestic use?

what's the difference between a cylinder such as Megaflo or a flat-back cistern? Maybe someone could suggest a product suitable for domestic use?

megaflo is an unvented cylinder

flat back is vented and screwed to the wall

HarryM said "I just need something simple - shaving and washing up only".

In which case, how about a 15 litre unvented water heater? Much cheaper than a normal 100+ litre unvented, simpler controls, takes up little space, easy to install, simpler discharge pipework, etc.

chrishutt said:
HarryM said "I just need something simple - shaving and washing up only".

In which case, how about a 15 litre unvented water heater? Much cheaper than a normal 100+ litre unvented, simpler controls, takes up little space, easy to install, simpler discharge pipework, etc.

He would also find it handy to have a Bath now and then Chris.

That's what I thought, but the man said "shaving and washing up only". And the customer is always right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back