Eaves support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Been trying to work out the best option for supporting roof membrane at the eaves. When I've seen this done before it's been either
1. Nothing, just draped over fascia into gutter
2. A tiling batten at bottom, with the felt on top of it
3. A continuous piece of thin ish ply or similar
4. Purpose made eaves trays
It's a pitched roof with concrete interlocking tiles if that makes a difference.
My preferred option is 2. Or 3.
Any opinions welcome as always!

Sponsored Links
It's not just support but the rotting of any felt or membrane exposed at the gutter.

That leaves just one option.

That being the eaves tray presumably. I can't remember where I saw it but someone was berating them and suggesting ply or similar, can't remember the reasons though

Eaves trays turn out to be expensive, but you can use some special roll, looks a bit like dpc but it is designed to be exposed to uv etc. If you don't have a kick up into the gutter you don't need them apparently, we just have exposed rafter feet.

Sponsored Links
someone was berating them and suggesting ply or similar, can't remember the reasons though

They're only a couple of pounds each and so much faster than fitting ply. I'd use them without a second thought, but interesting about the roll option if you don't have a kicker. Got a link, John?

Thanks guys, the trays have the added bonus of the bird guard I guess so will look to use them.
Not sure if I've got a kick up into the gutter, don't think I have (is that where the bottom course is visibly at a shallower pitch, with a batten or fillet supporting it?)

Pretty sure the last guy I worked with just put a batten under the felt behind the fascia, has anyone ever seen that before? Guess it's a bit of a bodge but better than nothing.

Pretty sure the last guy I worked with just put a batten under the felt behind the fascia, has anyone ever seen that before? Guess it's a bit of a bodge but better than nothing.

I could be worse than nothing. The fely will gradually rot, puncture on the gutter top edge or allow water to seep up the underside. This then gets into the timber at the eaves, and does so in quantities not enough to notice, but enough to rot the timber. And you only notice when things start dropping and coming loose.

The felt will sag behind the batten potentially leading to leakage, probably worse than useless. Plus as Woody said earlier the exposed felt drip between the fascia and gutter will break down leading to water drips getting blown back down the fascia (these modern breathable felts seems to break down very quickly when exposed to sunlight). The plastic eaves support tray is about £3.70 per metre, it really is a no brainer.

The main thing to aim for is continuous slope from all locations down to the gutter, supported appropriately. If you have a barge board you probably need to support the area of felt near the rafter feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back