Eco friendly heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am doing some research into a new heating system for an old 2 bed cottage I've just bought. At the moment it has an oil system, which I hate and it's old. The place is about to undergo a complete renovation so the heating can be renewed, but there are a lot of options and I thought I'd ask for some advice and recommendations.

I had an ASHP in a previous property and liked it, but it was an expensive bit of kit to install from fresh with all the pipe work, HW tank etc. So I thought about clay filled rads as there is no gas where the property is. It's only small 2 up and 2 down with an extension kitchen and bathroom.

Does anyone know what the clay filled rads are like expense-wise to run. Fitting them seems hassle-free as we are getting the place rewired and without water filled system there's no pipework as the place has thick solid stone walls making chasing in pipes a problem. Cables we can bury in the lime plaster.

Any advice and or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Clay-filled rads are just slightly fancy night storage heaters. Old tech with clever marketing, but ultimately not all that controllable and very expensive to run. Probably worth doing if you're only staying in the property a short time and want minimal disruption, but given that you're ripping the place apart anyway a wet system run off either a new, more efficient oil boiler or ASHP would be much cheaper to run. Have you considered underfloor heating?

Given that you have solid walls, you would get a reasonable grant if you install air source heating to replace an older oil heating system. I get just under £800 per year and it is paid direct to me quarterly.
Capture.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back