EDF asking for a dead test certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an electric meter fitted to a new submains for a residential on Friday and EDF have asked that there either be an isolator switch fitted or a dead certificate.

My sparky is not familiar with dead tests, only live tests so has favored the switch option which will be about £80 supply and fit.

I understand why this is done (for safety reasons).

The live test is being done on Monday

I was hoping there is a workaround to this?

Sponsored Links
My sparky is not familiar with dead tests,

Well, get another sparky then .

Dead tests are carried out on all circuits before they are energised. If he hasn't done this then he cannot possibly give you an installation certificate.

Dead test include essential things like:
Continuity
Insulation resistance
polarity
etc

Only live tests? Blimey, how does he test then, just plug a bedside lighjt into the sockets and say "oh that's all tested as OK then"

:rolleyes:

£80 to fit an isolator when he is already onsite!! The parts cost about £25 and it shouldn't take 1/2 hour extra.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

The issue is I and a neighbor drew all the cables and wires the sockets and switches (basically did a totally new rewire) however neither of us have the qualifications to sign it off.

I left all boards up so when the (certified) sparky came round he inspected the cables, made sure they were clipped, back boxes in walls etc, and was happy to sign off.

EDF made the requirement for a switch to be fitted and we did that and the meter was fitted.

Lastly, I've agreed to pay £100 for the system to be tested and certified for regs so is this too much? I'm sure it is and difficult to quantify anyway as usually the test is as part of a new system and included in the price of the work.

Feedback welcome

Thanks everyone.

The issue is I and a neighbor drew all the cables and wires the sockets and switches (basically did a totally new rewire) however neither of us have the qualifications to sign it off.

I left all boards up so when the (certified) sparky came round he inspected the cables, made sure they were clipped, back boxes in walls etc, and was happy to sign off.

EDF made the requirement for a switch to be fitted and we did that and the meter was fitted.

Lastly, I've agreed to pay £100 for the system to be tested and certified for regs so is this too much? I'm sure it is and difficult to quantify anyway as usually the test is as part of a new system and included in the price of the work.
U
Feedback welcome

That's a good price,go for it, but check that that includes notification to building control via his scheme.

So you broke the law, and did design and installation work which you knew you were not competent to do.

And then you found an "electrician" who is also so incompetent that he doesn't know what dead tests are, and is prepared to falsify official documentation so is therefore intrinsically untrustworthy.

Feedback welcome
Rearrange these words in a well known phrase or saying:

made now in bed your it lie you've

Putting aside whether the electrician is competent perhaps you're over reacting BAS?

I did something similar with my bathroom - I found an electrician before I started & agreed it all with him - I did first fix myself and had him do the final fix & issue the paperwork for BC. Not aware that any laws were broken.

Thanks everyone.

U
Feedback welcome

That's a good price,go for it, but check that that includes notification to building control via his scheme.

To get building regs does that not always mean notification to building control?

So you broke the law, and did design and installation work which you knew you were not competent to do.

And then you found an "electrician" who is also so incompetent that he doesn't know what dead tests are, and is prepared to falsify official documentation so is therefore intrinsically untrustworthy.

Feedback welcome
Rearrange these words in a well known phrase or saying:

made now in bed your it lie you've

Ah you again =)

I haven't broken a law as the work was installed by a competent person i.e. my friend. The requirement is for work to be carried out by a competent person which it was. You don't need any qualifications to carry out electrical work in theory

I did something similar with my bathroom - I found an electrician before I started & agreed it all with him - I did first fix myself and had him do the final fix & issue the paperwork for BC. Not aware that any laws were broken.
I tend to the view that if a person did not do something he cannot legitimately sign a declaration that he did.

I haven't broken a law as the work was installed by a competent person i.e. my friend.
So did you apply for Building Regulations approval before you started, and say who would be doing what? You said that neither of you could sign off on design or construction.

You have also entered into a conspiracy with the "electrician".

Putting aside whether the electrician is competent perhaps you're over reacting BAS?

BAS made it difficult for me when I asked about this originally as he got an impression based on the way I project myself that I shouldn't be doing any of this myself and should hand it over to someone else at big cost.

Happily for me I've proved him wrong, as I have many people in my life.

He's quite entitled to his opinion though, negativity only makes me stronger.

Sparky here now testing as we speak =)

I haven't broken a law as the work was installed by a competent person i.e. my friend.
So did you apply for Building Regulations approval before you started, and say who would be doing what? You said that neither of you could sign off on design or construction.

You have also entered into a conspiracy with the "electrician".

I'm going to be polite as I was initially and not engage with you any further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back