Egg Box Partition Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone here old enough to remember egg box walls (aka paramount partitions) the first time around?

I need to do some repair work making as little surface damage as possible but don't know if it was common practice in the 70s to nail the joints to the studs where two panels joined on a run, or simply slide the edge over the stud and move on to the next.

Sponsored Links
Borrow a stud locator or a metal detector, will find any fixings providing the patent system does not rely on metal studs.
Frank

I suppose it might depend on whether it was a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, as to if the partitions actually got nailed.

Does it really make a difference to the repair?

Usually nailed - stopped the joints moving and spoiling the board finish

Sponsored Links
Does it really make a difference to the repair?

Yer. I'm 99% sure a stud has warped over the years which has caused the wall to bow and a doorway to distort. There's no vertical load and the ceiling is smooth so I'm blaming the stud. On top of that, the wood used in this house is pretty poor quality too.

I'm thinking or removing part of the door casing to get to the stud, but if there are nails through the plasterboard I'll have to cut them too. I was hoping if it was a tight fit I might be able to just take it out carefully, but with nails I'm wondering if I'd be better off cutting through the plasterboard on the edge of the stud and replacing it that way.

Any advise welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back