Shower screen onto tiled egg box wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

First post on here. But have used the site lots of times and have always found the advice useful.

I am wanting to put a shower/bath screen in rather than have a shower curtain. I am looking at something like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/aqualux-s...e-clear-1380-x-850mm/32973?_requestid=1877481

The problem i have is that the wall which i need to fix the screen to is a paramount egg-box stud wall. :( My heart skipped a beat when I realised I'd bought a house with these walls! I have no experience of this wall at all so need some help please!

Being a structural engineer I have done a few calcs and find that the pull out force of a screw at the top of the screen would be around 5kg. This screw would also carry a vertical shear of around 6.5kg (assuming only 2 screws, one top one bottom). As I said I have no experience of egg-box walls (I'm only 30) so have no idea if these loads can be carried by this type of wall.

I would intend using these fixings:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware...oggle-Medium-and-Screw-W-4-2-x-L-50mm-9372162 Unless you think I should use something else?

I'm not sure of where the screw holes are in the screen rail as I haven't bought it yet, but i'm thinking of adding possibly 2 more holes to spread the weight out.
I'm also thinking that by using plenty silicone between the rail and the tiles, some of the force will be spread even further, through adhesion of the screen to the tiles and of the tiles to the wall. Please tell me I'm right!
I intend to fill the bath with water when I install the screen and seal it in place so that it can't be opened. By doing that a lot of the weight of the screen will be taken by the bath.
I hope all of these factors will make for a good solution?

Let me know your thoughts.

If you don't think this will work, my Plan B would be to put in a timber "post" fastened to the wall and ceiling joist and tile it and thoroughly seal it. Then I would secure the screen to this post.

Drilling all the way through the wall is not an option as the other side is the landing/top of stairs.

Hope someone can asure me this is do-able!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think 'Plan C' will work the best, i.e. re-build the wall in timber stud with moisture resistant backing. Deliberately fix an upright stud or some horizontal noggins where the screen will be fixed.

Being an SE you will understand that repeated use of the screen coupled with heavy handed dads or mischievous kids will result in fixing failure.

I have Paramount in my bathroom and other rooms upstairs.

It is surprisingly strong.

There are wood studs in the partition, although not huge, but if properly fixed, it is extremely strong.

Poly toggles are not the greatest fixing for strength. I used 4 (2 top, 2 bottom) collapsible anchors in my Paramount wall to hold a HUGE plate glass mirror (6 x 5 ft x 1/2" thick) and it was no problem.

Poly toggles are not the greatest fixing for strength. I used 4 (2 top, 2 bottom) collapsible anchors in my Paramount wall to hold a HUGE plate glass mirror (6 x 5 ft x 1/2" thick) and it was no problem.
A glass mirror is stationary, whereas a shower screen is somewhat dynamic.

Makes a huge difference.

Sponsored Links
Anyone know of a perspex shower screen I can use instead of glass? preferably a semi framed screen (not one of those 4-fold ones)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back