Elecricity Socket Probem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace an old double socket with a nice stainless steel one, but the L and N terminals on the new socket are on the opposite ends to the old socket and the wires won't reach.

What can I do to get around this problem?

I can't take the socket back unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Can you pull on the wires and get a bit of slack from in the wall?

Hello.
Is there room enough for thru crimps in the back box ?
Remember to earth the faceplates.

Ed

Yeah I was thinking of thru crimps as a last resort, but don't know it was acceptable to put them in mains wiring.

I'd earth the socket in the usual way, with the yellow/green earth wire. Do I need to do any more than that on account of the metal front plate? The sockets have 2 earth terminals, but I only have one earth cable available.

Sponsored Links
Sorry?? , 1 X earth conductor ??
How many conductors are at this 'socket' please ?

If it is a 'spur', and the circuit is 'sound', then you will require a 1.5 mm 'fly lead' from the 'back box' to the face plate, if it is metal. (not a fastfix/plasterboard plastic box).
If you have two cables in the box but only one has a visible 'earth' conductor, then the continuity/etc of the circuit needs to be looked into I think.
Ed

I think it is a spur. There are two conductors (two L, two N), but the earths merge into one wire, very strange that...

So you are saying I need a 1.5mm wire from the socket to the metal back box to earth it? I take it the same would apply to a lightswitch with a steel facia?

It sounds like both wires have been put into the same piece of earth sleeving.

This should pull off to reveal two individual conductors.

I think it is a spur. There are two conductors (two L, two N), but the earths merge into one wire, very strange that...

is it me or does everyone else hate the tossers who wind the earths together :evil: :evil:

So you are saying I need a 1.5mm wire from the socket to the metal back box to earth it? I take it the same would apply to a lightswitch with a steel facia?

yes the earth needs to have 3 wires 2 from the ring and 1 from the screw terminal in the back box to the switch's earth also if the switch has 2 earth terminals then the ring wires must go 1 to each and the back box earth can go to either which ever is easier.

All the wires can go to the same earth terminal.

It makes no odds on a standard domestic circuit.

Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated. What's the worse that can happen if the plate isn't earthed?

I've found some wire I can do this with, but it looks like 1mm, rather than 1.5mm. Is that going to be up to the job, or should I go and get some 1.5mm wire tomorrow?

Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated. What's the worse that can happen if the plate isn't earthed?

you get yourself electrocuted to death whilst plugging in a toaster? ;)

I've found some wire I can do this with, but it looks like 1mm, rather than 1.5mm. Is that going to be up to the job, or should I go and get some 1.5mm wire tomorrow?

for a double socket you don't NEED to earth the backbox, the fixed lug on the backbox and the screws will take care of that..
it is considered good practice to do so by many schemes.

it is considered good practice to do so by many schemes.
It's also considered good practice by people who aren't members of any scheme.

But then some of those people cannot get their heads around the idea that anybody who wants to do any work on their electrics wouldn't have stocks of things they would need, just like they'd have plumbing fittings and pipe if they wanted to do plumbing, needles and thread if they wanted to do sewing, herbs & spices if they wanted to cook curries....

many schemes insist it is done.

it's based on the theory that when you remove the screws to take the front plate off ( to decotare round for example ) then the backbox is no longer earthed..
this is also the most likely time for a wire to break of fall out if the screws have worked loose..

if the wire then touches the backbox it becomes live and so will you when you inadvertantly touch it when replacing the earthed front plate...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back