Electic oven burnt plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Need some advice please.

Turned our electric oven on earlier to preheat a couple of minutes later a bang and the electrics go. I follow the burning smell to the plug socket the oven is plugged into - cable is blackend and inside the plug is totally melted.

Our oven is max 3400w but at the time of instalation the sparky told us it would be ok on a plug as it will never draw the full 3400. This has been fine for 2 years until now.

At the time I also had the washer and dryer on could this have caused it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanls

Sponsored Links
It has probably been overheating for a while and finally caused a short-circuit.

It shouldn't really be on a plug, should it?

First time posting, hope this works....

The oven could reach as much as 15amps and therefore a plug wouldn't be able to cope with the required current (they max out at 13amps).

Assuming the cable supplying the oven is heat resistant, and the socket the cable was plugged in to is able to carry that amount of current, I'd maybe look at hard wiring the oven.

You'll need to find somewhere accessable to put an isolating switch (suggest a 20a double pole switch) in case of fault.

Hope this helps.

:)

You didn't have the washer, dryer and cooker plugged into the same extension cable did you? ;)

A loose connection in the plug was most likely the cause. That and it could have been drawing nearly 15A through a 13A plug. As above it really needs to be on it's own 16/20A radial.

Sponsored Links
Personally I feel when the 13A plug was modified to give finger protectors it was effectively de-rated as it can no longer transmit the heat through the pins to be dissipated. All fuses create heat.

However the fused connection unit (FCU) has a far better thermal design to radiate the heat produced.

Clearly at 3500W it should not be wired to a 13A plug or FCU but you are far more likely to get away with using a FCU than a 13A plug. Of course do remember it does need to radiate heat so the plug or FCU does need to be in free air.

You should look at getting a dedicated supply fitted for the oven but likely you will get away with using a FCU.

As a PS using a FCU to supply a 15A plug would also likely work if you want to be able to unplug for maintenance as a 15A plug does not have a fuse fitted. At 3450W it is close enough the oven likely designed for Europe where they have 16A radials. Do not however fit a 15A socket to a ring as it would then be fused at 32A or 30A. The question I have asked is an oven classed as to exceed for long periods a load of over 2kW? The 12 minutes a kettle takes to boil is OK but the time it takes an oven to warm up from cold is likely longer than it takes a kettle to boil so Appendix 15 in the wiring regulations lists them in the examples of items requiring a dedicated circuit. But much would depend on how large the oven is and how long it takes to warm up.

Thank you for the responses its much appreciated. :D

I have today spoken to an electrician who told me he will have to look at the job but im looking in the region of 300-400 for a new dedicated circuit. Does this sound correct?

Im gutted as my kitchen is only 2 years old and lovely, id hate to have holes etc drilled for new cables.

Would it be safe to just buy a small watt oven say 2.4 and plug this into the existing plug? New ovens are around 200 so cheaper than the work required for my existing one.

The plug socket is fully accessable ie not behind the oven.

The oven socket is as far as i know on the main kitchen ring and like i said on my previous post we've never had a problem with it tripping in 2 years

Is your oven a double oven because it is unusual to have a single oven drawing so much power.
In so far as what you do now - I think you (with the electricians encouragement) have already worked that one out.
£150/200 for a reasonable oven or £400 and my current oven.
No brainer really. ;)

The only question mark is that it is an advisory in the regulations that ovens drawing over 2kw should be on its own circuit.

Hi Riveralt.

No its a single oven Samsung all singing all dancing thing.

Thanks for the advice i understand its not the "correct " way to connect it but from a safety point of view will it be safe ie not a fire risk.

Also if the oven isnt supplied with a plug what size flex would be suitable?

Thanks

No its a single oven Samsung all singing all dancing thing.
Yes I managed to find one with an output of 3400w - should be connected to its own circuit - with 2.5mm ² heat resistant cable through an isolator - though confusingly it also says it can be connected via a plug??

Thanks for the advice i understand its not the "correct " way to connect it but from a safety point of view will it be safe ie not a fire risk.
As long as you follow the manufacturers instructions you should be okay.

Also if the oven isnt supplied with a plug what size flex would be suitable?
The manufacturers instructions will give you that info - depends on the oven's power rating but 1.5mm² heat resistant cable is normally stated.

Thankyou thats really helpful :D

Re the Samsung oven yes ours did say that and our sparky confirmed it :confused:

One last question (sorry if this is a stupid question)

What are the pros cons of a Plug v FCU.

The socket for our oven is accessable as its under the work surface in a cupboard next to the oven.

I wonder what size the flex/cable to the oven is.

Larger sizes do not fit into plugs well.

Show us some photos of the plug

I wonder what size the flex/cable to the oven is.

Larger sizes do not fit into plugs well.

Show us some photos of the plug

To be honest your bang on! The fit was very tight but we went with it as we were told it as ok. Lesson learned

A FCU can dissipate more heat than a plug but clearly there are differences from plug to plug with black ones dissipating more heat than a white one and where the oven is supplied with a plug I would use a socket to plug it into but if supplied without a plug I would use a FCU.

If the new oven comes with a plug use that - if not then dependent on the size of the cable use an FCU - you will need one that allows external cable entry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back