Electric Aga tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a MK3 electric aga on eco7. 3 weeks ago I changed the bottom element as it had gone. also I serviced the vent and circulation fans.
last saturday I changed the door seals and turned up the vent fan.

However this past week the aga keeps tripping its 32amp circuit breaker during the day!?

Can anyone shed light on what is causing it to trip? all the elements are working.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That means that it is overloading the circuit, which isn't really possible with a fixed load or

there is a short circuit somewhere, not likely if only doing it sometimes or

the MCB is faulty and just 'slips off'

You say it does it 'during the day' - does that mean it happens when the AGA is off or doing anything in particular?.

Sponsored Links
yeah its fine during the night when its taking its charge from the eco 7. then during the day when its on the mains via that 32amp breaker it's tripping. has done it about 5 times over the past week.

so surely if there was a short circuit then the eco 7 fuse would trip at night!?

yeah its fine during the night when its taking its charge from the eco 7. then during the day when its on the mains via that 32amp breaker it's tripping. has done it about 5 times over the past week.
Do you have two separate supplies to the AGA?

so surely if there was a short circuit then the eco 7 fuse would trip at night!?
Yes, and more likely you wouldn't be able to reset the MCB.

yeah two supplies. obviously the mains via that breaker. and the economy 7 which has its own circuit board. the eco 7 goes to a fused switch next to the aga. which then supplies the aga when the eco 7 is active from 1am think. so during the day there is no electric to the aga on the eco 7 side, only the mains.
of course, if there was a short circuit then I wouldn't be able to switch the breaker back on.

you can see why I am confused!?

I would expect the parts of the Aga energised from the E7 will NOT be the same parts as are energised from the on-peak supplies.
So it is quite possible to have a fault that only affects the on-peak side

Hi there,

. also I serviced the vent and circulation fans.
last saturday I changed the door seals and turned up the vent fan.

Cheers

I always ask myself "What changed?" when this sort of fault occurs. So from what you have said, I am strongly suspecting one of the the fans has shorted windings. It is where I'd start

Martin

I always ask myself "What changed?" when this sort of fault occurs. So from what you have said, I am strongly suspecting one of the the fans has shorted windings. It is where I'd start

Martin
I would agree. I looked at AGA website and the night storage models don't show duel supplies. However looking further I found one set of PDF manuals which showed the duel connections and refereed to a "tele-switching" which it seems needs a 2A supply. In which case it may be that the repairs have resulted in connecting the off peak and standard supplies together during some part of the day and the standard 32A supply is trying to warm up storage heaters through the link.

If you can switch off the off peak supply during the day this should be easy to see if there has been a link. Do not switch off the permanent supply as this may mean some fan does not start when required and could cause overheating of some parts.

Although one would hope there is some fail safe should there be a power failure just one small bit of insulation missed could cause a problem.

Which brings one back to what has changed. Could a wire have fried due to being miss routed on re-build?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back