electric cable run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to run electric cable from pole drop to home, about 140 ft. what size cable do I need to use? I am told I can use aluminum vs copper, no city ordinance for copper only. also need to change meter and electrical box, cable will be underground via conduit. Have spoken to several electricians each has told me something different, can you help? Home is approx 1,568 square ft, all electric, three bedroom, two full bath, living room den, kitchen, one boiler, 4 ton ac.

Sponsored Links
OP could I suggest that you go back to the supplier of the energy and ask them ?
The other method would be to look at similar jobs (neighbours, friends, etc) which might be a good benchmark position.

The cable needs to be large enough to cope with the expected load within the house. A large ac system, a swimming pool, no gas supply (so everything is electric load) will mean a high load requirement.

Here in the UK (there's is a electrics OUTSIDE UK section on this forum) 90% of houses are expected to be inside 100 amp load. Over that and 3 phase rather than single phase is used.

Have a nice day, steak for tea ? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back