Electric chainsaw and breeze block

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

Will an electric chainsaw (such as Makita UC3520A) be suitable for cutting through breeze block?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming this is a carbide tipped chain, so yeah it probably will.
Probably still be a lot slower than a diamond blade.
Makita make cheap tatty stuff in this line of equipment compared to the likes of Husqvarna.

It will likely blunt and knacker the chain and bar. With all the safety gear on, give it a try, but you might be tossing the tool at the end of the job. :mrgreen:

Do you actually mean breeze block, or do you mean modern aerated concrete?

Sponsored Links
No it isn't 'suitable' otherwise Makita would market it as a masonry saw.

It might work - please video yourself doing it just in case it's worth posting on youtube.

Within a few seconds of taking a chainsaw to breeze block either the black dust will have obscured everything or the camera will have been disabled by a bit of flying slag.<Sits back and waits for "fnarr-fnarr" type of reply :D>

Yes - but with a bit of luck the screams of the operator should be audible above the sound of flying slags!

And the chain oiler should keep the dust levels down

When I say "breeze block" I mean the blocks that predate lightweight aerated concrete.

They are black and heavy, and contain industrial ash, slag etc. They make an appalling mess when drilled etc, and are nigh-impossible to cut cleanly. Taking a chainsaw or angle grinder etc to one would be catastrophic.

When I hear the term "breeze block" I take it to mean blocks like that, not Thermalite, Celcon etc.
Do you actually mean breeze block, or do you mean modern aerated concrete?

Some time ago, it was suggested that a list be put up of commonly-mis-used terminology. because 9/10 people get it wrong.

It's the same with 'damp course' and 'steel rsj' etc.

they call em clinker blocks round ere, an I was guessing that he meant the lightweight ones, coz seriously would anyone consider using chainsaw on anything else?
as he never actually answered ya question we may never know :D

they call em clinker blocks round ere, an I was guessing that he meant the lightweight ones,
In which case an old hand saw would probably be best.

seriously would anyone consider using chainsaw on anything else?
You'd be amazed.

as he never actually answered ya question we may never know :D
Maybe he did do it, and is currently having bits picked out of him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back