Electric combination boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard these are very expansion to run. Do they produce a COP of 1? Every 1kw of energy to 1kw of heat?

Sponsored Links
So be alot more expensive to run, hear people complaining about heat pumps with a COP of 3 or more.

Electric combis are actually thermal stores, very expensive to buy and extremely expensive to run

Sponsored Links
Electric combis are the worst possible option in every way.
Any other heating device is preferable.

It's for flats that are going off gas. Is there any other viable options for this?

It's for flats that are going off gas. Is there any other viable options for this?
For hot water:
Heatpump(s), either a whole block solution or individual.
Unvented cylinder with immersion heater
In any event, it's a system where hot water is stored, not attempted to be heated on demand.

For space heating:
Heatpump(s), either a whole block solution or individual. This could be for wet radiators or wall mount air units (which will also cool in the summer).
Wall mount radiators of various styles and types.

If this is a whole block, then insulation must be a priority, as would solar on the roof to offset operating costs which will most likely involve battery storage as well.
It's a complete designed solution.

If someone has suggested slinging in electric combis, tell them to sling themselves.

Were could/would the heat pumps be sited if a block of flats no balconies.

Thanks wall could be better if individual units? Is it better to keep the flow and return to a minimum length. To limit heat loss before reaching the cylinder/ space heating?

Thanks wall could be better if individual units? Is it better to keep the flow and return to a minimum length. To limit heat loss before reaching the cylinder/ space heating?
This forum cannot design a system for you.

If you are going ahead with a new heating system, you must have someone survey the building and design a suitable solution for it.
Anything less is just wasting money and time,

I'm not designing a system. I just heard at work they were taking gas boilers out of a block of flats and replacing with electric combination boilers. I thought it sounded like madness. Just wanted other peoples fews. I thought airsource would be a better option. They could even put large ones on the roof in a Cascade? And charge each flat individually?

For centralised or even individual (e.g. air-sourced systems) then Planning Permissions and Building Regs, to affix kit to the building (the units and pipeworks and power supplies). Building Freeholder Permissions to do the same.

Likely means that the 'simple' choice will be chosen that needs no, or fewer, such permissions.

There are some ashp type units that are internally sited and vent air in/out through holes core-drilled through walls but they'd need most Permissions as above and are far noisier indoors than split units.

I'm not designing a system. I just heard at work they were taking gas boilers out of a block of flats and replacing with electric combination boilers. I thought it sounded like madness. Just wanted other peoples fews. I thought airsource would be a better option. They could even put large ones on the roof in a Cascade? And charge each flat individually?
This is in my area , might be of interest to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back