Electric cooker cable size requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of having a new kitchen fitted. I wanted to fit a large electric range cooker so I checked the current rating in the sales literature, confirmed that the MCB for the cooker circuit was the required 45A and ordered the thing. Unfortunately, when it arrived the instructions stated that it needed wiring using 10mm^2 cable and our builder / electrician has said we only have 4mm^2 cable! This has all been a bit of a surprise as I was under the impression that you couldnt use an MCB of a higher capacity than the cabling could take. As the cost of running a new cable is going to be prohibitive I am trying to find out if it is going to possible to wire a double oven and hob on a 4mm cable? Elsewhere on this site it says that i'm OK up to 6kW which suggests to me that I'm probably pushing the limit with the current single oven with microwave + 4 ring sealed plate hob especially as the cooker switch has a 13A socket!! So the question is this, as I cant find cable size requirements for anything online does anyone know what I can safely connect to my existing cable and do I have to give up any thought of a double oven? Thanks in anticipation.

Gareth

Sponsored Links
There are certain other factors to take into account such as cable length, does it pass through insulation, how is it secured ie is it clipped or in conduit etc?

Sponsored Links
Need to know how its routed but 10mm cable shouldnt be prohibitive when compared to cost of cooker. Its less than £3 a metre at my wholesalers - so £30 - a round of drinks down south.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back