Electric Cooker Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 32amp mcb connected for the cooker plug, whats the maximum wattage electric cooker I can use with this?

If I upgraded to a 45amp mcb what size electic cooker would I be able to use? And what size cable should be used with a 45amp mcb?

Sponsored Links
technically with diversity ( and no socket on the cooker switch ) then a 32A cooker circuit is good for up to a 19.8KW cooker....

32-10=22A
22x3.3=72.6A
72.6+10=82.6A
82.6x240=19824W :eek: :rolleyes:

If I upgraded to a 45amp mcb what size electic cooker would I be able to use? And what size cable should be used with a 45amp mcb?

That is rather coming at the issue from the wrong end.

The normal method is to
determine the load
select the circuit protective device
select the cable that you will need given the length, installation method and environment that the cable will be run in.

The kitchen already has a 32A mcb fitted, if its enough then fine. But if the wife chooses a bigger cooker then I want to make sure that the mcb won't get overloaded.

Better safe than sorry!

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the fuse/mcb is there to protect the cable.
It may be possible to install 10mm² cable and to protect that with a 45amp fuse but that will depend on a number of factors relating to the cable's length and routing.

Oh, BTW. If you run a new cable then you'll need to protect it with a 30mA RCD and also notify the work as it will be a new circuit.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81696#81696

And get yourself a copy of the On-Site Guide

414I7RjVdwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418546

See Section 7 and Appendix 6.

If you're in E&W, also get the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations.

And no matter where you live don't forget that the circuit should be tested before being put into service - see Section 9 of the OSG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back