Electric door and curtain controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a granny flat for my mother who is in a wheel chair so push buttons to open doors and open and close curtains would seem the way to go. Curtains looked on internet and loads of units not really a problem but doors the jargon is meaning I can’t work out what is for fire control and what is just simply electric opening doors.
Hold Open or Swing Free is what they say now I want to be able to open and close by electric but need over ride should there be a power cut and I can’t work out if these units will just close a door in case of fire or will open and close door by pushing a button. Ideal would be push button and door opens for set time then recloses.
I really have no problem with the control if the unit will open and close door being 24vdc which is same as spare PLC I have it is not rocket science to build controls but can one still open the door with no power or do they need battery back-up?

Sponsored Links
The best option is a spring closer and a separate powered opener.

Provided the arm of the opener is not attached the door but only presses against it to open it then the door can be manually pushed open. This is useful during a power cut or by able bodied people who do not need to use the opener which is likely to be slower than just pushing it open.

Fire door equipment is designed to close and maybe lock doors in the event of a fire which is the exact opposite of what you need.

There are likely to be regulations about forces similar to those regulations that apply to electric gates to prevent injury to someone trapped by the opening or closing door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back