electric earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old light fitting with a chandelier (metallic mainly). Having removed the old light fitting I have live earth and neutral wires coming from the ceiling which i have then fitted to the same coming from the chandelier. However, there is an extra earth in the chandelier which is just screwed to the casing with an end dangling free.

My question is, does the end of this other earth need to be attached to anything ( eg the other 2 earth wires), or have i already earthed the appliance adequately with the earth to earth connection from my electrics to the one from the main wire of the chandelier.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer me.

Sponsored Links
just because it says earth or looks like one does not always mean it is.
It might be running to a plastic cup with a bit of soil in it. NO I AM NOT KIDDING!

Get it checked out

ebee said:
just because it says earth or looks like one does not always mean it is.
It might be running to a plastic cup with a bit of soil in it. NO I AM NOT KIDDING!
caro1 said:
However, there is an extra earth in the chandelier which is just screwed to the casing with an end dangling free.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
Get it checked out

Please explain this.

Perhaps they meant an earth wire was stuck in the soil of the Christmas Tree pot, when there are fairy lights connected!

I stated on another thread that an electrician found that someone had put metal light fittings up and to add an earth a seperate conductor was connected to the fittings earth terminal an ran under floorboards to a plastic cup filled with soil.
No kidding.
I think they completely misunderstood earthing principle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back