Electric Heating/Hot Water. What system to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 3 bedroom maisonette and I have come to the conclusion that the only form of heating/hot water I can have is electric.

There is district heating but I am unable to connect due to problems with the lease and and it would have cost £11,000 to have a gas line installed into the property, there is a pipe about 50 meters away from the property so this amount seems a little ridiculous. Even if I could have afforded to pay this the leaseholders, who told me I was unable to connect to the district heating system, said I would most likely be unable to have a gas line running into the property due to health and safety issues (property is in a 4 storey block, 2 2 storey properties on top of each other and about 25 properties long).

I was supposed to go ahead with fitting an electric combi this week but my plumber let me down and he had advised me of what to use, a 12kw fusion e10 combination boiler http://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/index.php/electric-combination-boilers/.

Now I'm totally stuck and haven't a clue what to go with as I have a suspicion that he was just messing me about (long story). So I was hoping for a little advice as to which system would be best.

I have used a BTU calculator to work out the heat output I need for each room and have supplied sizes of the rooms ;

Downstairs:

Entrance Porch Area - 2.56m2 - 280 BTU
Passage - Passage - 9.3m2 - 840 BTU
Bedroom 1 - 10.9m2 - 2449 BTU
Bathroom - 7.66m2 - 2406 BTU

Upstairs:

Bedroom 2 - 11.18m2 - 2608 BTU
Bedroom 3 - 5.67m2 - 1323 BTU
Open Plan Lounge/Kitchen - 27.8m2 - 8092

The property is double glazed and has a high standard of insulation. It has a concrete frame so ceiling and floors are concrete. Ceiling has 50mm fibreglass insulation under plasterboards and floor has 50mm polystyrene boards under a thick waterproof membrane and 18mm boards. All surround walls are covered in 'donkey hash' and all internal walls are insulated between plasterboards. The property is usually quite warm. There is currently no heating as it had been stripped back and most walls knocked out. When I bought it there was very old storage heaters with asbestos lining inside.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
With 5kW heatloss, you could just use a thermal store and get around the G3 regs that your example system would require.

Gledhill will make you one up.

Get a sparky in first to make sure your supply can cope, and get one with say two 6kW immersions.

Set the heating up on a programmable room thermostat.

I've literally ripped everything out the property and have started again so I had a full rewire. All cables are now under the floor and stud work is up so I can't make any adjustments easily. I have already ran 16mm supply to the area on a 63amp breaker to the area for my system. Everything was ready for the plumber to come in and do his job with the system he had recommended.

Sponsored Links
That's plenty for 2 x 6kW immersions.

As mentioned, you will open you options if you got for a thermal store. They do not need a G3 qualified plumber and are a POP to install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back