Electric instantaneous water heater and shower advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, perhaps I should give some background first to hopefully make the situation easier to understand.

I am helping renovate a bungalow for my parents and as part of this I need to sort out a hot water solution for them. It is a 2 bed, detached bungalow, heating is sorted but need a solution to supply a kitchen sink, basin and thermostatic mixer shower that is part of a shower cabin (ie. the shower mixer cannot be substituted and an electric shower is also not viable).

A gas combi is obvious but we have been quoted £16,000 for connection, so that's a no-go. LPG is also out due to the regulations regarding tank location and the layout of the property (been down this route with the council planning already). Ground-source heatpumps are too expensive in regards to initial outlay, so although I understand the running costs are high I was thinking of instantaneous electric units (OK an unvented cylinder / thermal store would be a reasonable choice but space is a premium and if we can avoid the associated costs we'd prefer to).

Some basic flow rate measurements from a mixer tap in the kitchen revealed about 4 litres per min hot from the immersion and 10 litres per minute from the cold feed. The supply to the house is 100 Amps, but the Electricity company can increase this to a max of 120A so that's a reasonable amount of headroom.

My idea (crazy though it may be) is to run a 9KW Redring Powerstream under the kitchen sink and a 12KW Powerstream 2m away from the shower. These would be connected via a relay that prevents both from heating at the same time. Now with just the two of them living in the bungalow this would not be an issue in practical terms, so it is whether a 12KW powerstream would generate enough pressure and flow rate to work with the termostatic mixer? (Again as there are only two persons living there the idea of heating water as you need is attractive as you'd might expect).

Now they aren't looking for power shower performance, so niagra falls is not needed :). I have no specification on the shower mixer, but suffice to say that on cold the mains pressure is far more than they need / looking for.

Now I know the Powerstream units will significantly reduce the flow rate (I reckon on about 5 litres per minute with average weather conditions) but will this still be enough pressure to allow the standard thermostatic mixer to provide a reasonable shower?

Does anyone have any thought, comments or experience regarding the above (aside from pay the £16k for gas, install an oil tank or use LPG bottles) or do we really have no option than to go with an indirect unvented cylinder or thermal store?

Thanks for your help

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion but here goes.

Nat gas is best but £16k makes it not viable. Excluding the increase in the value of the property I reckon it will take 30 years to get your money back at best.

Go for oil if you can afford it and may I suggest a HRM wallstar . This will be a better solution than the currently more expensive LPG

An unvented cylinder would be the next best option.

I cant see why your powerstream idea wont work and I have seen even a 9kw version provide a functional shower. The trouble is they dont seem to have much of a lifespan so because you seem set on the idea I would say try it and see how you go but don't expect them to provide a long term solution.

When you say the heating is sorted I am assuming you mean there is some form of electric heating or perhaps solid fuel?
Electric is very expensive even with economy 7 and the likes so bear that in mind

Thanks for your thoughts, I just wanted a sounding board and that's great.

I agree 100% and the instant heaters are by no means the best solution overall but the install costs are minimal (apart from the distribution unit connection of the 50A circuits) it's all within my own comfort zone and the units are under £200.

Maybe I'll get a 12KW unit, try it on the shower and if it works then fine. If not I can relocate it to the kitchen sink and then look at a small LPG unit to supply just the bathroom. Alternatively I'm sure I could get a fair proportion of the cost back on eBay and put it towards an unvented cylinder, which would be my next choice.

If it gets to the cylinder, does anyone have any thoughts regarding whether an unvented indirect cylinder or a heat bank (like the Heat Web Pandora)?

Of course any further thoughts / experience from anyone in regards to the instant heaters and the shower are still very much welcome!

Thanks once again 'Anybody' for your thoughts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back