Electric radiator just warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an electric radiator installed in a new shower room and it is not heating the room enough even when it's left on all the time.
I can't see a make, but it looks like a central heating towel rail but runs on electric as it was too difficult to tap in to the rest of the system due to solid floors.

The radiator is warm but i can easily leave my hand on it so it is just warm and never gets really hot. Is this right ?

If it's normal i will have to get something bigger but don't really have the room. The room is 850mm wide by approx 2m but has a vaulted ceiling where i am sure some of the heat is going. A new build however so all the latest insulation etc was used but three walls are external which will never help.

Mike

Sponsored Links
there should be a heating element in the bottom, have a look on it to see if there is a rating in watts (400w etc)

sounds like the element is too undersized for the rad.

If it looks like a towel warmer it probably is just a towel warmer.

Most towel rails are designed just to warm towels, not to heat a room. They have a limited output so they don't overheat themselves when they are covered with towels. Their contribution to space heating is even more limited when they are so covered.

the bigger element you put in the warmer/hotter it will be.

in relation to the size of the rad of course.

Sponsored Links
Seems like i just have a towel warmer. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard at this time of year.

Any suggestions on what output i should look for to heat a small room if i replace the rail. I could replace it altogether and look for a stylish replacement.

I have it wired to a timer outside the room.

Thanks

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back