Electric Shower cold when no hot water in immersion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If there is no hot water in my immersion tank then my shower runs cold.
Is this normal?
I thought electric showers didnt need hot water, or am I justy blonde?

It has two pipes going into it mind.

Sorry for being so dumb.

Philipa

Sponsored Links
if its got 2 pippes its probably not an electric shower. one of them pipes will be connected to the cylinder

HI

1.electric showers fed from direct mains water (usually)
2.hot water tanks cannot feed electric showers
3.hot water tanks are suitable for shower mixers not electric showers

It is Mick, cause if you dont yanjk the pull cord, nothing happens at all.
I can hear it like a pump.

Its very powerful too. Is it apower shower?

Sponsored Links
HI

1.electric showers fed from direct mains water (usually)
2.hot water tanks cannot feed electric showers
3.hot water tanks are suitable for shower mixers not electric showers

Now Im totally confused!
It is definitely electric, - If I dont pull the toggle switch nothing happens, and definitely goes cold if no hot water in the tank!

If your shower is electric and running cold I assume youve checked the double pole pull cord switch is on red tag visible also neon light glowing this will ensure supply healthy.

Then if cold check the settings if normal the overload has tripped the heater out probably due to scaling-up of the element, or even worse the unit has failed completely as a result of overheating due to scaling. Call a man in!!

If you replace it dont mess about with cheap models you need to spend over £250 to get anything of any reliability.

You have a power shower. It will draw 2 supplies, 1 from cold cistern (usually in the loft), and 1 from hot water cylinder (usually in airing cupboard). It mixes both hot and cold together to provide selected showering temperature, and contains an integral pump to provide the pressure, hence electricity supply to it and the noise when in use! Make and model will identify it!

An electric shower draws water in from the cold mains supply, and heats it as you use it. These have an element similar to a kettle inside, only about 3 times the size and power. Need a dedicated electricity supply, via a thick cable, directly from the fusebox.

To answer your question, you dont have an electric shower, so no hot water in cylinder=cold shower!

You have a power shower. It will draw 2 supplies, 1 from cold cistern (usually in the loft), and 1 from hot water cylinder (usually in airing cupboard). It mixes both hot and cold together to provide selected showering temperature, and contains an integral pump to provide the pressure, hence electricity supply to it and the noise when in use! Make and model will identify it!

An electric shower draws water in from the cold mains supply, and heats it as you use it. These have an element similar to a kettle inside, only about 3 times the size and power. Need a dedicated electricity supply, via a thick cable, directly from the fusebox.

To answer your question, you dont have an electric shower, so no hot water in cylinder=cold shower!

Thanks for your answers, in particular this one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back