Electric shower help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys im new to this.

If you can help it would be great.

I currently have a mains fed electric shower (Ground floor)
the pressure in the shower is not so great esp when you heat it up.

I am thinking of running a new pipe work from the cold cistern tank in the LOFT (3rd floor) to the shower and have a triton t90xr pumped shower installed.

Can you advise if this will improve the pressure ?
If any one else has this shower their experience of the shower in terms of the pressure is provides.

Sponsored Links
I currently have a mains fed electric shower (Ground floor)
the pressure in the shower is not so great esp when you heat it up.
Has it always been poor or are you having to turn it up higher than before to get a hot shower ?

What shower is it and kw ?

I am thinking of running a new pipe work from the cold cistern tank in the LOFT (3rd floor) to the shower and have a triton t90xr pumped shower installed.

Can you advise if this will improve the pressure ?
No, it won't.

The flow from the shower will reduce as the temperature is increased. This simply due to how electric shower works - it's just a box with a heating element inside. Doesn't matter where the water is supplied from, or if it is pumped or not.
Less flow = water stays in the heating chamber for longer, so is heated more.
More flow = cooler water.
This situation is always worse in the winter, as the incoming water will be cooler.

The Triton t90xr and others like it are designed to be used in the unusual situation where the mains pressure is too low to operate a normal electric shower. Or there is the inexplicable situation of only having a tank fed cold supply and no hot to go with it.

Your only options to get a better shower are to fit a higher rated electric one (although that won't make very much difference), or get a proper shower installed.

Sponsored Links
Do you not think the pressure would increase if I added a pump?
Is the t450i triton pump good or should I get another more powerful pump.
Please advise

Don't matter what pump you fit your not going to really improve the performance of the shower.
The flow through the shower is regulated by the stabiliser/flow valve in the shower.

Rather than waste your money on a pump thats not needed spend it on either a descent mixer shower or power shower.

only thing is i want a shower where i dont have to warm up the water in a tank. As we have 5 family members water is always cold.

Do you not think the pressure would increase if I added a pump
Probably not, and even if it did, the shower would just be much cooler.
Fine if you like cold showers, useless otherwise.
The fact is - all electric showers have low flow rates and are generally the last resort option, fitted when there really is no other choice.

only thing is i want a shower where i dont have to warm up the water in a tank.
Options are therefore
a. an electric shower which you have already got.
b. gas combination boiler and mixer shower, but this will involve significant expense and your water supply or house might not be suitable for a combi anyway.

As we have 5 family members water is always cold.
Cylinder is therefore too small / not heated to the correct temperature / not heated at the correct times / filled with limescale / all of the above.

Pressure and flow are different things. Add energy supply and temperature rise into the mix and you end up with either a new hot water system or the wish that you had found a pack or two of these:

durex.jpg

Listen to Flameport and Seco. They speak the truth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back