Electric shower pressure loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a 9.5Kw electric shower fed by mains could water which works well until someone runs cold water downstairs, then the shower goes very hot. I intend to isolate the shower feed by putting a tank in the loft feeding a pump then to the electric shower. Can anyone see any problems using this setup or do you have any better ideas.

Sponsored Links
You're not supposed to do that!

Electric shower must be run on mains water pressure.

If you're going to do pumping, then pump the hot water used in the rest of the house, into a normal shower (non-electric).

A separate pipe run from where water enters property to shower may be only solution.

Have you checked all stopcocks and service valves on your cold mains supply, including the one out in the street, are fully open?

Partly closing the service valve on the kitchen cold tap may reduce the problem, but that probably won't do much for the longevity of the service valve.

You're not supposed to do that!

Electric shower must be run on mains water pressure.

Not strictly correct.

You can pump (triton do a single impeller pump specifically for this purpose - and I have a spare one in my garage looking for a good home.....)the cold feed, once the showers inlet solenoid has opened, the flow switch on the pump kicks in and whoosh off it goes, as good as mains pressure.

I am not a fan of leccy showers at the best of times however. Even though I am paid to change a lot each year

DH

Sponsored Links
as said by dreadnoughtheating it is poss to put a pump on your shower fed from a tank.
not really a fan of the triton t450i single pump i prefer a single salamander or stuart turner pump.

as with your problem your loosing your flow not your pressure.

Trickyt has hit the nail on the head; the root cause if this problem is due to the incoming mains only having a diameter of 15mm. So I cannot get enough throughput though a 15mm pipe and I am avoiding the expense of having the drive dug up and the pipe replace with a 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back