Electric shower pull cord

Local isolation is not required by the regulations for any appliance and the law has nothing to do with it.

Sponsored Links
My Mira Sport instruction booklet says that the isolator is required by the regs. and the electrician who fitted it was equally adamant that it is a legal requirement.

Once again the manufacturer is ignorant and wrong. Same goes for your so called electrician.

There is no need for local isolation in the regs. The manufacturer is ignorant and wrong.
Once again the manufacturer is ignorant and wrong. Same goes for your so called electrician.
So how do YOU know that in any specific situation that YOU know more about a product and its requirements than the company that has spent a considerable amount of time and money to research, designed and manufacture a product with a specification for a safe installation?

I say YOU DON'T KNOW and your persistant advice to people coming on here to ignore MI's could be very dangerous.

Sponsored Links
If a product needs to be isolated when not being used, then it is not fit for purpose.
Are all your appliances isolated?

Also, the instruction says "as with most electrical appliances" - this is not the case.

If a product needs to be isolated when not being used, then it is not fit for purpose.

No BUT most of the MI's do not state it needs an isolator.

So my belief is when MI does not state it requires an isolator, I accept it does not need one.

And surprise surprise, when MI states it needs an isolator, I accept it needs one.

Oh how foolish of me to read and accept instructions from a supplier of kit.

In the case of a shower unit, it would not occur to me to NOT install an isolator and I'd use it on a regular basis.

Several years back I was asked to replace a sink water heater, it had neither electrical or water local isolator.
The dist board was in a secure locked room and,
The only water isolation was the main stopcock which was immovable.

I passed on doing the job.

Next...

No BUT most of the MI's do not state it needs an isolator.
There you go.

So my belief is when MI does not state it requires an isolator, I accept it does not need one.And surprise surprise, when MI states it needs an isolator, I accept it needs one.
I disagree. Why might that be the case?
Many people say the isolator should not be operated after every use.

Oh how foolish of me to read and accept instructions from a supplier of kit.
Yes, unless you can think of a reason.

In the case of a shower unit, it would not occur to me to NOT install an isolator and I'd use it on a regular basis.
Yet they are not required by the regulations. Why would that be?

Several years back I was asked to replace a sink water heater, it had neither electrical or water local isolator.
The dist board was in a secure locked room and,
The only water isolation was the main stopcock which was immovable.
Such is life, but that is the correct use of the word 'isolator' and its purpose, other than that they are switches which you can fit if you want.

The prime example is, of course, extractor fans needing an 'isolator'. They do not.
You must have a lot of trouble fitting ovens to 16A circuits.
Many manufacturers think they are quoting the regulations but they are not.

Once when I was in lodgings, there was a mother and daughter living in a first floor flat above. The young daughter was using a shower when it started crackling and smoking. Alerted by her cries, her mother immediately turned off the isolator, which in this case was wall mounted outside of the bathroom door. Because they were used to using it daily, she knew immediately what to do.

Like many others, she had no idea where the consumer unit was, or even what it was. I located it on the ground floor in an outhouse that was integral to the building but could only be accessed from outside via a door with a padlock on. The device was completely obscured from view behind a mountain of chattels.

As a result, I've always thought local isolators for showers to be a rather good idea.

I suspect most manufacturers include the instruction to have an isolator in case someone doesn't manage to isolate a faulty shower quickly and tries to sue the manufacturer when their house burns down.

The prime example is, of course, extractor fans needing an 'isolator'. They do not.
I think this is very important as they are notoriously prone to failure and leaving a stalled motor (even one this small) is a bad idea and replacing a failed fan in a room without a light will usually beg the question: why didn't they fit an isolator
You must have a lot of trouble fitting ovens to 16A circuits.
No. Why? Should I?
Many manufacturers think they are quoting the regulations but they are not.

I suspect most manufacturers include the instruction to have an isolator in case someone doesn't manage to isolate a faulty shower quickly and tries to sue the manufacturer when their house burns down.

Well they should make that clear then rather than lying that they are a requirement.

So would a shower without isolation nearby (eg a pullcord) get a pass or fail in an electrical inspection?

It should get a pass obviously as there is no requirement for local isolation.

If it failed ask the tester why and if he says no local isolation ask him/her to quote the relevant reg.

It should get a pass obviously as there is no requirement for local isolation.

If it failed ask the tester why and if he says no local isolation ask him/her to quote the relevant reg AND THE RELEVANT MI.

My Mira booklet says .... '.must be provided with means for local disconnection incorporated into the fixed wiring in accordance with the relevant local wiring regulations. This must be a double pole switch which has at least 3mm contact separation at each pole. The switch can be a ceiling mounted pull-cord type or a wall-mounted switch fitted in the applicable zone area.'
Seems pretty clear that they think it's needed.

My Mira booklet says .... '.must be provided with means for local disconnection incorporated into the fixed wiring in accordance with the relevant local wiring regulations.

In the UK the MCB in the CU covers this.

This must be a double pole switch which has at least 3mm contact separation at each pole. The switch can be a ceiling mounted pull-cord type or a wall-mounted switch fitted in the applicable zone area.'

Nothing about this in the regs.
Seems pretty clear that they think it's needed.

As stated above by EFLImpedance:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back