electric shower smells bad and cable has melted!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been looking over your forum and noticed that the topic has been covered before but not fully answered.
I've had a 9.5kw shower in for 2 years or so now. was fine until the main fuse burnt through (supply side not consumer unit). The guys came and replaced it and ever since there's been a faint smell of "fish" when using the shower. The smell comes from the wall mounted DP switch and it does get pretty hot to touch.
Having read your previous topics covered i've decided to investigate and can now see that the back of the switch has started yellowing and the neutral cables have started to melt a little.
How do i tell what size cable is in? why has it melted at this point and no where else (to my knowledge), and what do i do now?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its melted at that point and no where else because its somehow become loose, you need to replace the 45A dp switch and cut back any damaged conductors and re-terminate (failure to remove damaged copper will result in a repeat of the problem!)

as for the size of the cable, six milli has a solid cpc, and 10 has a stranded cpc

that may be true in most cases but i wouldn't bet on it. I belive some suppliers do 6/4 as a stock item (and 6/6 to special order) as well as the more common 6/2.5. I bet 6/4 has a stranded CPC.

comparing the main cores directly against those of a known size is a good way to be sure. So is measurement (measure one strand with a suitablly accurate tool, calculate its CSA and then multiply by the number of strands)

alany said:
The.......switch.......does get pretty hot to touch.

Since you noticed the switch getting hot, how many times have you used the shower?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
alany said:
The.......switch.......does get pretty hot to touch.

Since you noticed the switch getting hot, how many times have you used the shower?
I was thinking this, but thought i'd leave the abuse for tonight. :LOL:

Cable identification, if there is no means for conductor diameter measurement, click, a 'description' at this page, for example:- http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Twin_and_Earth/index.html The next screen will present a picture plus info concerning the cable selected with data on colour changes and Nominal O.D - width mm x thickness mm being the nominal (mid size) Overall Dimensions of sheath cross section. TLC report this for all cables in their list.
Is it accurate? Probably ! ... Certainly a useful place to start... No real substitute for measuring conductor diameter and applying some very simple maths tho'.
;)

Hi, sorry for the delay internet (like my shower) is not working so good at the moment...
have used the shower for about a month now. It only really smells when the misses is in the shower washing her hair probably for about 15mins or so.
The cable run is approximately 15 - 18m and is pretty thick. I will look at the cable thickness tonight and compare to the chart / info provided by empip.
The black supply and feed cables have started to discolour does this mean they will have to be replaced... i hope note as the bathroom floor is tiled and the switch is wall mounted...

i did manage a quick look at the cable width last night... id say it was probably about 16mm wide but would need to confirm this tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back