Electric sockets in Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me.

A few months ago we got some decking laid and asked an electrician to lay some cable underneath it in preparation to install an electric socket in a shed.

We have now bought the shed and I am wanting to install the socket at the weekend - what kind of socket will I need to buy? Can I get a 'waterproof' one, just in case the shed leaks or the frost gets to it?

Any advise appreciated, and if anyone can provide links that would be ideal!!

Sponsored Links
you can. but pointless, if you must use metal clad. what cable was laid, and how are you going to connec it?

As the work is notifiable under Part P of the building regs may as well get electrician back to fit appropriate socket

Sponsored Links
Putting a socket in a shed is not just a matter of installing a socket on the end of a cable.

The cable needs to be suitable in size, type (probably steel wire armoured and not standard twin & earth) and if burried to the proper depth with warning tape above it.

The cable can't just be attached to the circuit supplying sockets in the house, it needs its own dedicated supply.

As a detached building your shed needs its own consumer unit for isolation and suitable MCB and RCD protection.

You need to consider the earthing arrangement of your house TT, TNCS, TNS to make sure the earthing arrangements at the shed are compatable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back