Electric supply for gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting conflicting advice regarding electicity requirements for a new gas cooker.
My kitchen only has 30 amp ring and our present cooker only requires a 13amp supply for ignition and clock.
I am looking to replace the cooker but do not want to run any new cables to the consumer unit. However I have ben told that there are only 2 or 3 entirely gas cookers that can get away with ordinary 3 pin plug.
Although"Stoves" make a gas cooker that my wife likes, they tell me that it requires a 20 amp spur. The Stoves website says that the power requirements are 13 amp. But their CS say the cooker must be wired with a 20 amp spur with a 13 amp fuse.
My gas fitter is also bemused by this contradiction and so I would seek you pro's advise.
Is the Stoves demands OTT and could the gas cooker run OK with standard 13 amp plug off the ring main. Or are there electrical components ie. fans that would require the extra insurance of a dedicated 20 amp spur.
Help please

Sponsored Links
Think about what a gas cooker uses electric for !

Timer, ingition and that's about it.

So chose any gas cooker you want and terminate the existing electric cooker supply in to a 13 amp fused spur. As for rating the fused spur- consult the makers guide and choose a fuse in the range 3 amp to 13 amp.

1) There is no such thing as "a 20A spur with a 13A fuse".

2) Anybody who writes instructions specifying "a 20A spur with a 13A fuse" is an incompetent buffoon who would be better employed making coffee for people who can write instructions.

3) Find the cooker you want and ask the maker what the electrical loading is - I doubt that ignition and oven light would come to 1A, let alone 13....

Sponsored Links
What is the country of manufacture of the cooker?

The only reason i ask is i've seen cookers which have had equally contradictory instructions.
I often think that this is due to the translation from the original language being a bit clumsy or the author of the instructions being un-familiar with UK wiring.

Maybe its intention was to say something like '....from a fused spur or 13A socket outlet...'

gawd knows where they get the 20A or 13A option from though. I imagine its a continental thing :confused:

I was going to say ring their customer service to clarify, but chances are you will get someone has hasn't the faintest idea of what it really requires. They will probably just read parrot fashion from the same document that you have. If you proceed to quiz them about it for example 'What, you mean a 20A fused spur, whats one of those then?' They will probably try to get all smug with you by saying ' a proper electrician will know'

got that t-shirt. F-wits :confused:

Some details about the cooker may help people here give you a decent answer (make, model, any electrical power ratings)

It appears that the oven has an electric grill. But the bit about 13 amp fuse does appear on the spec
Cooker is Stoves SGB900PS
http://www.stoves.co.uk/built-in-ovens/double/sgb900ps/

The full spec is 4.3kw. That is 1.8kw for gas oven and 2.5kw for electric grill. The manufacturer demands that you install a 20A dedicated cable and fuse it 13A. Although they concede that it barely draws more than an electric kettle. If the oven is not fitted as per instructions it would invalidate warranty if it went wrong and enginr was called out.
Shame is the missus likes this oven and I am tempted to just fit it on to the ring main. A gas fitted wouldn't check these things would he?
Would you guys think that the wise thing is to wire it strictly with Stoves recommendation.
If so I shall just find a conventional gas ove with gas grill. Advice please.

I can't see any advangate of using a spur, they are not asking for a hardwired, designated circuit.
It comes with a mains lead that should be rated per manufacturers spec, putting a 13A plug on should meet the critera.
You just need the plug socket to be loacated in an area that will give you easy isolation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back