Electric supply to concrete garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please?

I want to install a couple power points and light in an unlined concrete garage. What do I need to do? What are current regulations? How do I install the points and light switch given that I cannot drill into the concrete? Is there anything else I should know? Sorry if this sounds daft but I will be getting an electrician in and don't want to be completely ignorant and/or ripped off!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's detached, Mr Winston - about 4 metres from the house. It has concrete walls, which have been bolted together, metal doors and surround and 2 wooden roof beams. It's a basic Comptons model.

I have a Comptons Garage.

The electric supply is carried on a catenary from the main supply in the house, and the cable enters through a small gap just under the roof, to a fused spur.
I have a fluorescent light, and a power point.

Sponsored Links
battens can usually be fixed to the concrete with metal ties, or wall plugs drilled into the thicker parts, depending on the design.
Overhead is cheap and cheerful - better would be buried steel wire armoured. Most important is an RD to protect the sockets at least, and posibly the whole lot. Sounds like a 16A radial would be fine for you.

There is timber on the door frame, which is suitable for mounting all the nccessary sockets etc, it is fairly simple to fix a wooden batten betweent the framework used for the roof structure on which to mount the fluorescent fitting, that is how mine is done.
I do have RD protection fitted, always best to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back