Electricity in the Garage (that ol Chestnut!)

Thanks John, I have the trench tool already, manual spade-style, but maybe I'm under-estimating the work involved in digging. I could hire a powered tool, but then potentially we're running into the realm of 'easier to get someone else to do it'

What I don't want, is my beautifully quaffed & manicured lawn fcked so I have concerns about digging.

Maybe I could just run a 'tap' from the lamp post outside the garage - that'd work right! :D

Sponsored Links
I'm not really sure what the smiley face indicates? Are you suggesting it's not enough? That's fine, but it'd be more helpful for me for you to tell me that, than guess in the form of an emoticon!

What should I be looking at? Try & understand I'm coming onto a Forum like this to get advice from people who have been there, done that. Something more than a smiley face would help me massively.

Thanks

I had SWA (steel-wire armoured) ran to the garage; builders (we were having other work done at the time) dug the trench, laid 30M of SWA under the house and across the garden, electrician fitted a garage CU, 3 x double sockets, 2 x lights and a 32A socket for the welder.

£750 ex VAT.

Thanks bud, well out of my price range for the job, I'd consider battery & solar powered lighting if the quote comes anywhere near that.

Appreciate the rough idea though - will bare it in mind

I guess the fact he needed a 32A supply and the distance made the SWA expensive and long run

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I have the trench tool already, manual spade-style, but maybe I'm under-estimating the work involved in digging. I could hire a powered tool, but then potentially we're running into the realm of 'easier to get someone else to do it'
That's why I asked! Manually digging a 4" wide trench half a metre deep would not be something I would want to contemplate - if you're digging manually, it's usually far easier with a wider trench! A powered digger significantly increases the chances of damaging unexpected service pipes/cables. The other side of this coin is, of course, that if someone wanted me to dig such a trench for them, I'd probably charge them a lot!
What I don't want, is my beautifully quaffed & manicured lawn fcked so I have concerns about digging.
Lift the turf off, make the mess, then restore your beautifully manicured lawn!

Kind Regards, John

The man who came (about 23 years old in a Black Range Rover and box fresh white trainers who clearly had never seen a day of hard work in his life) strided around the lawn to 'measure it' and then sent me his 'quote' which was basically a text message saying £350 plus VAT

After I had done cleaning up the tea I'd spat out through laughing, I asked for a proper quote with breakdown of materials being purchased, and whether I could go and purchase these materials for the job as I wanted to make sure I wasn't paying over the odds. He never got back to me.

I also asked, if I were not to get this work done, and just wanted the 'free' car charge point, how did he intend to run electric to the garage where I wanted it he's basically ignored me ever since.

Funny thing is, I thought the price was fine, just cant believe he thought a text message would suffice.

Anyway I got it done now. The electrons are flowing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back