Electric to Garden Shed

Sponsored Links
It is crystal clear. It is not I who needs to change for it is not I who is behaving incorrectly.
It's not a question of behaving correctly or incorrectly. It is a question of whether it matters to you whether or not you are communicating your (often important) points as effectively as possible - and it seems that this matters to you less than some concept of 'behaving correctly'. IMO, it is a great pity, given your potential.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not sure why we still bother trying to communicate with b-a-s; we're not going to get through.

And we know what happened when we inadvertently strayed down the road of remote syndrome-diagnosis, so I'm sure nobody wants to revisit that.

Not sure why we still bother trying to communicate with b-a-s; we're not going to get through. ... And we know what happened when we inadvertently strayed down the road of remote syndrome-diagnosis, so I'm sure nobody wants to revisit that.
I don't think the matter under discussion has got anything to do with syndromes or diagnoses - it's simply a matter of the way he chooses to prioritise different considerations (which is for him to decide), and he seems to have made his position clear.

Kind Regards, John

Many of us are therefore rather saddened by the fact that you so often adopt methods, 'styles' and 'positions' which, even if you don't accept it (or care about it, since you blame the 'recipient'), are often almost certainly counter-productive in terms of what you are trying/hoping/wanting to achieve.
It's a bulleted list. What style would you have me adopt as an alternative?

Unless you want to defend the position of people undertaking electrical design and construction without actually knowing what they are doing, I think you'll find that there is no alternative to putting the effort in to learn.
Do you want to defend that position?

If not, can you answer my earlier question about what is superfluous in the list I posted?

And since you still seem to think that it wasn't an effective list, would you care to put forward a rational explanation, based entirely on logic, and not relying in the slightest on imagining that the list contains words which it does not, of what is ineffective about it?

You might be better able to comment on its effectiveness if you were to actually read it properly - your comment:
a 'reading list' of a dozen or so books and other items, one or two or which appear to relate to the '16th edition' but, as far as I can make out, none are directly related to the '17th edition'.
does not indicate that you read this:

"The references above which are in italics are out of date. The principles are still valid, and you can absolutely learn valid things from them, but you will need to refer to the latest edition of the Wiring Regulations to get the correct data."

or that you have actually looked at the Wiki "reading list", as that does direcly relate to the 17th Edition.

And we know what happened when we inadvertently strayed down the road of remote syndrome-diagnosis, so I'm sure nobody wants to revisit that.
If you want to make yourself look like an idiot, don't hold back on my account.

Still - maybe I should consider this approach:

There is too much to write to explain everything necessary and/or required for outdoor installations.

It would need a step by step instruction manual.
If anyone wants to write the 'War and Peace' for this then carry on.
Until then, employing an electrician to, at least, supervise is the only answer.

i.e. stop giving people information to help them acquire competence and simply say "get an electrician"?

I have to say though, that approach has not been well received in the past.

Still - maybe I should consider this approach:
There is too much to write to explain everything necessary and/or required for outdoor installations.
It would need a step by step instruction manual. If anyone wants to write the 'War and Peace' for this then carry on. Until then, employing an electrician to, at least, supervise is the only answer.
i.e. stop giving people information to help them acquire competence and simply say "get an electrician"? ... I have to say though, that approach has not been well received in the past.
Yes, maybe you should consider that approach or, at least, a diplomatic variant thereof. As you say, if one just bluntly says "get an electrician", it may well not be well received.

However, the message might be much better received, and more likely to be heeded, if you said something along the lines of "I think you would be best advised to employ an electrician, because there are so many things you would have to learn regarding issues concerning outdoor electrical installations before you could do this work safely and competently, and we can't possibly give you all that knowledge by answering questions in an internet forum. If you wanted, I could guide you as regards suitable reading material etc., but I really do doubt that the time and effort of all that study and learning would be justified to enable you to do what may well be just a once-in-a-lifetime job".

Kind Regards, John

"I think you would be best advised to employ an electrician, because there are so many things you would have to learn regarding issues concerning outdoor electrical installations before you could do this work safely and competently, and we can't possibly give you all that knowledge by answering questions in an internet forum."
Have a look to see how many times I have said "Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before."

"If you wanted, I could guide you as regards suitable reading material etc., but I really do doubt that the time and effort of all that study and learning would be justified to enable you to do what may well be just a once-in-a-lifetime job".
But I absolutely do not believe that the time and effort is not justified - it is learning, it is growing, it is acquiring a new skill.

Back to the original question, if it were me I'd go with the 100m of arctic cable as suggested earlier. For the temporary connection that is. Stick a 13A plug on one end (you can just get 2.5mm into a normal plug) and a two way trailing socket on the other. Connect to an RCD protected socket at the house end and try to avoid damaging the cable while it's in use. Sell the cable on Ebay after the final connection is in.

For the final connection, will that be a DIY job as well? If so, then there's more to consider than just the cable size. Where's it connecting at the house end, what sort of over current protection, how's earthing and bonding being arranged etc. Personally I think 6mm sounds too small, but then I like being able to run stuff in the outbuildings without worrying about overloading, so I'd be designing for greater than 3kW, then choosing cable size to suit.

Back to the original question, if it were me I'd go with the 100m of arctic cable as suggested earlier. For the temporary connection that is. ... For the final connection, will that be a DIY job as well? If so, then ...
As BAS pointed out early on, there is confusion/uncertainty from the OP as to whether or not we really are talking about separate temporary and permanent arrangements (my emphasis) ...
I plan on running electricity out to the shed so I can run my power tools whilst building it. And to use once built. Would it be ok 2 link several 13A garden extension leads together ...

Kind Regards, John

No - there is no confusion now.

Yes, the OP did originally say that, which is why I branded it as a ridiculous idea for a permanent supply.

But he subsequently clarified that the extension lead(s) was for temporary use - lighting the site etc, not for the supply to the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back