Electric toilet / bidet seats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't see any recent posts on these, but these products seem to be widely available now, so time for some questions.

No doubt the comedians will have a field day with this, but hopefully I might get some serious answers.

For medical reasons, I'm considering having an electric toilet bidet seat installed. If you're not familiar with them, the basically wash and dry your private parts, but still allow the toilet to be used normally.

As its electrical and a bathroom installation, then obviously the appropriate regs will apply. However I'm surprised that the one I have looked is a British product and come fitted with uk three pin plug! Obviously a definite no no. But what would be the correct connection method in a bathroom? The location would be outside of zone 2.

If the cable was passed through a wall to a socket in an adjacent room, would that be acceptable? Or would a pull switch as used on an extractor fan be acceptable?

I just want to make sure that when the sparky arrives he knows exactly what to do with it and I'm able to discuss the best options.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Whistler,
There are many Saniflo toilets in bathrooms that need mains power, so might be best to suggest to your electrician that this is like a saniflo.

Here are the wiring instructions for a mains operated macerator Toilet.
Sanifo say "Electrical connection should be via an unswitched fixed wiring connector with a 5amp fuse"
http://www.saniflo.co.uk/upload/pdf/Saniflo - Ten Golden Rules.pdf

I also believe bathroom needs to be on 30mA RCD protection.
And above wiring connector should be located in Zone 3.

Also, careful where you purchase from (eg ebay) as many Washlets (as they are called) from these sites are 110Volts as they are from Japan (or USA). Make sure it is specified as 220/240Volts. [<<Edited]

Also, Also, remember that if buying only the toilet lid, in addition to electricity it also needs its own water supply (taken from pipe to toilet). So you may also need a plumber.

SFK

Last edited:
Can't see any recent posts on these, but these products seem to be widely available now, so time for some questions.

No doubt the comedians will have a field day with this, but hopefully I might get some serious answers.

For medical reasons, I'm considering having an electric toilet bidet seat installed. If you're not familiar with them, the basically wash and dry your private parts, but still allow the toilet to be used normally.

As its electrical and a bathroom installation, then obviously the appropriate regs will apply. However I'm surprised that the one I have looked is a British product and come fitted with uk three pin plug! Obviously a definite no no. But what would be the correct connection method in a bathroom?

If the cable was passed through a wall to a socket in an adjacent room, would that be acceptable? Or would a pull switch as used on an extractor fan be acceptable?

I just want to make sure that when the sparky arrives he knows exactly what to do with it and I'm able to discuss the best options.
I had to have a giggle as it reminded me of a hotel stay and a switch above the bathroom door was marked 'SEAT', behind the toilet was a blanking plate with a similar 'SEAT' legend the humour being how to sit on either plate. Over dinner the toilet humour continued in our party of a dozen or so and very quickly spread amongst other guests.

I'd say this will be the appropriate method.

Sponsored Links
John D,
With thanks. Corrected to "Make sure it is specified as 220/240Volts."
SFK

Also, careful where you purchase from as many Washlets (as they are called) are 110Volts as they are from Japan (or USA). Make sure it is specified as 220/240Volts. [<<Edited]

Neither of whom use 110v. The USA uses 120v plus or minus 5%, and Japan uses 100v.

Surely ones sold here will be 220/240v. They are mostly made in S.Korea who use 220v.

you could run the cable thru the wall

or I would think an FCU unit (fuse and switch with cable outlet) would be fine.

Needs RCD protection

It's also worth making sure that any appliance meets UK Water Regs in terms of back-flow prevention for fluid category 5.

But what would be the correct connection method in a bathroom? The location would be outside of zone 2.
FCU or flex outlet.
The electrical connection is not a problem.
The connection to the water supply definitely will be, and could easily cost more than the device itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back