Electric toilet...

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our house rewired and I had the sparky put power into the bathroom for an electric shower. Having now moved in I realise that we don't need an electric shower as we have a combi boiler, and the GF has asked for a Japanese style bidet toilet instead.

I assume I can drop a cable down under the floor and then up behind the toilet to power it - what are the rules on what sort of connectors are required in that area of the bathroom, and can I legally run the cable myself or does the sparky need to come back?

If we do decide to add an electric shower at a later date would installing the toilet mean I need a new cable from the fusebox or will the existing one suffice?

Sponsored Links
Rules vary according to where you live in the UK but in the main although you can DIY the LABC charges mean it is cheaper to use a scheme member electrician if you wish to comply with the law.

You can do this legally, providing you comply to part P of the building regulations, also water regulations including part G of building regulations, other regulations within part A would also need to be complied to, mainly any chasing of walls and drilling of joists. But it would depend on were you lived in the UK and where the location of the bidet would be in relationship to shower basin and bath, to whether this is deemed notifiable work.

The toilet will be next to the basin, which is next to the bath.

The seat comes with a 2 metre cable so the connector would not be in this region.

The bathroom is on the ground floor and the toilet comes with a vanity unit so my plan was to run the cable into the unit, down into the floor & under the joists rather than through them. This comes up into the airing cupboard where the power cable terminates in an isolating switch.

Sponsored Links
This is a bidet not a toilet?
There are certain regulations regarding bidets for sanitation reasons regarding water contamination that must be complied to, they are different to toilets.
- A bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose, requires consent of the water suppliers.

Its an electric bidet toilet thingy - its a seat that sits on the toilet and has wash functions.

If it has a button labelled
生理用ナプキンリムーバー
Do NOT press it.

rolling.gif

Took a while to find it - didn't notice it was on Welsh.

I'm sure I noticed a 'massage' button on there, but didn't notice it being demonstrated.
The mind boggles!

If it has a button labelled

生理用ナプキンリムーバー

Do NOT press it.

あなたは愚かされている?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back