Electric towel rail, timer, zones etc

I couldn't figure out what round JB you were referring to, and then I clicked, I think its the metal plate in the foreground that might look like a JB. Notches have been cut in the joists, cables run though, and round metal plates screwed over the top, presumably to stop a nail being hammered through the floorboard into them.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't figure out what round JB you were referring to, and then I clicked, I think its the metal plate in the foreground that might look like a JB. Notches have been cut in the joists, cables run though, and round metal plates screwed over the top, presumably to stop a nail being hammered through the floorboard into them.
I must say that I thought the same as BAS. Are you saying that this round thing is a plate over cables in a notched joist, rather than a JB? ...

upload_2018-5-2_17-9-29.png

Kind Regards, John

Yes. I can see why it looks that way from the angle of the photo, but in 3D there are just thin metal plates over each notch. There are more behind this out of shot.

Conduit box lids.

Now you see it, it's pretty obvious.

So with no JB there, it should be a POP to move, or if necessary shorten, cables so that the Octopus can be repositioned and screwed to something.

What I don't understand though is that most of the cables in that notch run to the Octopus, and then back through the notch. Why?

Sponsored Links
Could be conduit box lids, I just presumed they were blanking plates intended to cover wiring in walls etc.

I'm not sure why, but below the plate in the pic there is a cable that goes down the next joist run so I couldn't move it any further than this. This room probably wasn't a bathroom when this was installed, so maybe some cables have been removed since, who knows. I can possibly just run a batten between the two joists and fix it there, so it is between ceiling and floor rather than resting on the plasterboard on the ceiling of the room below.

Could be conduit box lids, I just presumed they were blanking plates intended to cover wiring in walls etc.
Conceivably, although I doubt very much that they would manufacture round plates for that purpose. Current-day plates for protecting cables in notched joists etc. are certainly essentially rectangular, as one would expect.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure why, but below the plate in the pic there is a cable that goes down the next joist run so I couldn't move it any further than this.
I was referring to the Octopus.

When I look at the photo I can't see any cables connected to it which do not run through that notch, but I accept that photos can be deceptive.

Me too. What I was trying to say was that yes all the cables that some out of the Octopus go through the notch, but then one of them goes to the left in the picture, so I could move it, but only as far as the next joist run, so I don't see the benefit. Hope this makes sense now.

Only if moving it made it easier to fix in place, in a gap with no pipes.

My "Why" in #19 referred to the original installation - why put it there and create a need for all those extra cables in a joist notch?

Who knows, but this is a very old house, and the wiring could pre-date there being a bathroom, so maybe the wiring has changed and there were other cables that have since been removed. You are right though, it mightn't be a bad idea to put it in a run without a pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back