Electric wet central heating & hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been trying to find out about installing a wet central heating system, but am having trouble finding out exactly what I need!

We live in a 3 bed semi and have no access to gas. The roof faces due east, so solar is out of the question, and there isn't enough room for oil/lpg tanks (and the house is effectively landlocked, so access to refilling requires crossing neighbour's land). GSHP seem to be too expensive to install. Thus electric appears to be our only option for heating...:(

What I can't work out though, is the best boiler/thermal store to use? We want wet central heating and domestic hot water. I have looked at the gledhill Electramate A class which seem to heat up water at night (using E7) and distrubutes it to the radiators throughout the day/evening, but the A class is apparently only powerfull enough for a 1-2 bed flat, not a 3 bed semi.

The E-tech S from ACV seems to be more suitable, but it doesn't mention anywhere that it is designed specifically for an economy 7 electricity tariff, and thus am worried about running costs of having it on permanently.

Any advice from anyone on the type of boiler/thermal store that would be suitable as I'm really confused!!!!

Thanks!
Sam.

Sponsored Links
Yes avoid electric at all costs :eek: You must have a path or driveway that is yours to access your property. How about having a 2" oil pipe laid to the street in it for a tanker to fill and an underground storage tank? You probably couldn't do this with LPG as I beleive the tanker driver has to have the cylinder in sight all thetime during refill.

We have gas in the street, but the problem is that we need to cross the neighbour's land to connect to it, but they are refusing permission, so not a lot we can do really!!!

Brick through the windows occasionally :LOL:

Do they realise that BG would probably use a mole to tunnel under their land rather than dig it up (subject to survey)?

Sponsored Links
We had the gas surveyer round (Scotia) and he said that it would involve digging a trench. It is more that the neighbour doesn't want gas anywhere on his property. He uses electric storage heaters himself. He is strange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back