Electric Window Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Peugeot 406 LX R Reg and the drivers side electric window has stopped working no up no down at all. I've checked all the fuses and they are good and the passenger side works fine. I've re-traced all the wires and there are no breaks (that i can see). The switch itself is good, the problem happened without warning and has not been gradual.

Can some one who has had experience with the same sort of problem give me advice on what to look for or the possibilities on what could be the problem.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have had a few cars in the past that electric windows have failed on. There have been several causes:

1. Motor burnt out

2. Twisted 'running' gear - the mechanism that allows the motor to move the window up and down.

I would suggest that the first thing you try is: take the window switch out and 'hotwire' the connections, or use another switch to rule out it is not this. Also, check that there is voltage reaching the switch (if not, there is a wiring problem BEFORE the switch, and you will have to trace it back to its source)

If everything is fine here, take of the door trim/panel and check that there is voltage reaching the motor. If it is, then it is a problem with the motor, or running gear. If not, then there is a break or bad connection between the switch and the motor.

Getting into the running gear and motor can be a really awkward job. I am not familiar with a Peugot door and how easy it is to access the motor, but usually it is quite straight-forward to work out once you have removed the door trim/panel.

You should be able to remove the motor wires and run 12v to the motor without having to remove it - be very careful of your fingers in the running gear and cogs :confused:

Hope this makes sense :)

Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Back