Electric wire near Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run electric wire for sockets off a ring main around the garage. Ill be covering the wall with Insulation. Is it ok for the wire to be near the insulation..
Also can i run the wire Horizontal
Thanks in advance
Paul

Sponsored Links
You can run cables in insulation but because the insulation prevents the cable from "cooling" you will need to down rate it, i.e either use a bigger cable or a smaller fuse/MCB.

As for running the cable horizontally, if it's concealled, look for "safe zones" (and Part P) in the Wiki.

If i Use condit is the round or square better to use
Thanks again
Paul

If your garage sockets are metal clad then round PVC conduit would be easier.
If the sockets are plastic then use trunking.

Sponsored Links
conduit (buried) oval

mini-trunking (square with a removable snap-on lid) for surface work.

Polystyrene insulation must not be allowed to contact cables, as it makes the PVC go brittle.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies..
I will be mounting it on the wall in which the insulation will go over it.. The Square one with snap on lid seems the easiest to use, Will this be ok then...
Dont like the thought of feeding cable through the oval one

Also, Iam i right in thinking that i can take the wire out of the current socket and feed into the new one and then again from this to the next and finally back to the old socket to maintain the ring main

Thanks
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back