Wires and insulation

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It seemed to be a 60's thing, correct me if I'm wrong. Both my father & Mrs Secure's father banged their children's noggins together when they were naughty.

B*stards...

ricicle said:
joe-90 said:
The category that sees the entire electrical trade wiring up houses knowing full well that the cables will be covered by insulation. If it's wrong - why are you doing it?

I don't and I wouldn't

In that case you aren't a working spark.

davy_owen_88 said:
joe-90 said:
The category that sees the entire electrical trade wiring up houses knowing full well that the cables will be covered by insulation. If it's wrong - why are you doing it?

It's beyond our control what people do after the work is finished... When they are clipped to the top of a joist we are doing as much as reasonably possible to reduce the chance of them being covered in insulation - out of curiosity where do you suggest we put the cables?

Exactly. As i said before, it matters not what you do with the cables as every house on any street has wiring under insulation and next to heating pipes. The fact that there aren't fires everywhere proves that point.

The reality is that you are all playing 'super jobsworth' quoting from the 'regs bible'. In real life you do the same as everyone else.

JohnD said:
However...

Cables, especially shower or immersion cables should not be buried in insulation. Lighting cables are usually so lightly loaded that it does not matter.

Cables should not be put next to hot pipes as it shortens the life of the PVC insulation.

Go down any high street and you will see cars speeding over zebra crossings and past schools; but that doesn't make it acceptable.

But you know it goes on in just about every house. How many times have you seen 6mm cable supplying a 9.6 shower but run right across the loft under insulation? I see it whenever the wiring is put in first. Surely the Institute of Electrical Engineers realises that the house must have insulation before it is sold? So why don't they put out a directive that the cable is to be clipped clear of insulation (when it is installed)? Or do they expect the insulating labourer to do it for them? And if so - where will he get the slack from? I know you to be a reasonable man, john, and I'm sure you will admit that I've got a point.

Hi,
Sorry to interrupt the fun, but there may be a misunderstanding here. The insulation is for sound and is vertical in the party wall situation (or have I misunderstood?). It only needs small gaps in it for it to be useless. The insulation should be against the masonry with a gap between the insulation and the stud wall. The stud must NOT connect with the masonry. So you should have:- plasterboard- studding- air - insulation - masonry. The cable should be clipped to the studding and will need support if it goes up to the socket, but it should be clear of the insulation anyway.
V

Thanks for the replies,

Your right the insulation is for sound but this is not the requirement of the LBC they state I need insulation for keeping the heat in and after I spoke to them the other day they said rock wool was more than sufficient but I have since changed my mind to go with hard insulation which I think is better.

The sound aspect of it is only from me as I may as well do it as best I can whilst I'm in there but either side of the party walls are just next doors empty lofts which could be occupied at a later date but the wall+Insulation+boards and skim will be a lot more than the party walls lower in my house.

Reading further into your post there is a gap between stud and masonry which because the walls are out is bigger at the bottom than the top of the wall, is it OK to fix the board insulation to the back inch or so of the 3 by 2 stud work leaving about an inch to fix the socket wires and any lighting wires to? If this is OK then the cables will at some point have to travel through the insulation is this OK as it will only be about an inch or two covering the cable?

Thanks.

Hi,
Not quite sure if the insulation is already fixed. If it is then basically you have no choice. If you're about to put in hard (board) insulation then best to glue to wall and leave gap in front. This means you won't have any problem with cables or fitting back boxes. Put glue on boards, slide in and prop overnight.
HTH V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back