Wires and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following up on what has been said on here about covering mains wires with insulation

My loft is all studded out now and the next job is to get the spark in to do the wiring but I have to (As per my drawings) put rock wool or similar behind the stud wall between the party wall and the new stud wall.

Now the spark is doing the electrics but I will be fitting the insulation, where is the best place to run the wires and how do I go about the insulation?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If somebody else is doing the electrics, then why are you worrying about where to run the wires ???

Not sure what he is going to do yet but I want to be armed with all the info when he comes to quote.

The new stud wall sits about an inch away and never touching the loft (Party walls). Will he run the cable along the floor behind the stud the up to each socket?

If so do I just cut the rock wool short near the bottom to stay clear of the wires?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You mention a new wall. Unfortunately, you're doing the job the wrong way round. The studs should have been fixed into position, without boarding them up. Then the electrician and plumber do their first fixing, then you do the insulation, based on what they tell you and then you fit the boards. Then the boys return to finish off their work.

I would wait until the lecky turns up.

Sorry don't think I have explained myself properly

There is a solid party wall on either side of the loft seperating us from our neighbours either side these where bricked up and finished some time ago.

According to the LBC I have to build a stud wall away from the existing party wall (About one inch) because the the party wall is only single brick and for surficiant sound insulation and fire control.

The stud work is now complete and awaiting plasterboards which I will fit once the electriction has done his work.

I also have to insulate between both walls with rock wool which I dont want to go anywhere near the finished mains cables I am enquiring before the electricion comes where best it is to lay the cables and how far away from a socket can the wool go?

Thanks.

Is it not possible for you to wait for the electrician to inform you of his requirements. You're employing him for both his skill and his knowledge. He doesn't have any expectations that you will know his business. I wouldn't want to guess what his intentions might be about where he wouldn't want insulation. It depends on the cable ratings and the potential loads they will carry. I'm sure he will ask you about that.

They should stick to official zones, so that other people will be aware of the possible location of electric cables in the walls when they see switches and sockets, etc.

Generally, cables to sockets go vertically down to the floor, where they will then run as required, but must be a safe distance below the floor level and a safe distance above any ceiling below. Cables to light switches usually run vertically up to the ceiling and then run as required above the ceiling but, as per the guidance for cables above ceilings. However, it is also legal, in both cases, to run cables horizontally from the sockets and switches, where it is sensible to do so.

I still suggest that you wait to speak to your electrician rather than try to anticipate his work methods. By all means, be aware of the codes of practice.

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to think what the spark will do so I can think through my insulation and ask him the right questions when he comes.

Is it ok then to run the cables along the floor behind the stud wall then up to each socket as required?

Thanks. :D

Thanks for the information,

According to that diagram I cant get the cables run along the floor behind the wall. So do the wires have to be attached at the same height as the sockets?

I thought running the cable on the floor then up to each socket would be ok as this would have allowed me to run the rockwool near to the floor but not near the cables.

You can run cables under the floor, but not on top of the floor low down. This is mainly to prevent damage from screws/nails from attaching skirting board.

I'm assuming you have already put down the flooring? If so you can either:

Take the floor up and run the cables in the void (drilling holes in the centre of the joist).
Run the cables horizontally from socket to socket.
Run the cables up to the ceiling, across and then drop down for the next socket.

Davy

Thanks for your reply.

Yep I have already put the floor down but if the cables went along the floor they would be behind a 3inch piece of stud then plasterboard then the skirtings. Is this not far enough?

Yes, its legal to run hidden cables on the floor at that distance from the front surface of the wall. Regs are concerned only with cables within 50mm of the surface. You are constrained only by the law of common sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back