Electrical advice wanted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am undertaking a home renovation on my house which I just purchased. I have undertaken pretty much all areas of building work previously but want some advice.

1 - Can I run cabling for new light and socket circuits myself (running cable under floorboards, chasing into walls and up to new back boxes) and leave the ends where the consumer unit is and then pay an electrician to connect them to a new consumer unit which will shut off all the old wiring currently in place.

2 - I have a 100m roll of 1mm 3 core and 1 earth cable, my spots only need 2 connections so can I use the cable and leave the 3rd wire unconnected other than for 2 way between switches where needed ?

3 - I’m going to install electric underfloor heating mats in the kitchen and bathroom, do I just leave the connections out for the sparky to connect to the thermostat.

4 - Does anyone know if there is a smart thermostat that can control both underfloor heating mats and also the boiler or will I need 3 separate thermostats.

Thank you
Daryl

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How would the spots work with the Neutral disconnected

My bad, what I meant was that I was going to leave the 3rd core disconnected. It’s only as I have a 100m reel laying around so makes sense to use it up,

Sponsored Links
Don't leave it disconnected. Sleeve it for earth and connect as such. Then it is safely terminated at both ends, and if it ever needs to be used in the future, it can be re-purposed.

Don't leave it disconnected. Sleeve it for earth and connect as such. Then it is safely terminated at both ends, and if it ever needs to be used in the future, it can be re-purposed.

so I would then have the spare 3rd wire as a 2nd earth. (Sleeved and connected the same as the earth wire)

1 - Can I run cabling for new light and socket circuits myself
Anyone competent can install electrical items, however if you were actually component to do so, you would also be able to test all of those circuits and install the new consumer unit as well.

Rewiring a house and then expecting someone to connect it all to a new consumer unit is a recipe for disaster.

It's all notifiable work as well if the property is located in England or Wales.

so I would then have the spare 3rd wire as a 2nd earth. (Sleeved and connected the same as the earth wire)
Yes, just sleeve the existing conductor insulation with green/ yellow sleeving and connect to the earth terminal with the others.

Anyone competent can install electrical items, however if you were actually component to do so, you would also be able to test all of those circuits and install the new consumer unit as well.

Rewiring a house and then expecting someone to connect it all to a new consumer unit is a recipe for disaster.

It's all notifiable work as well if the property is located in England or Wales.

Thanks, I believe I’m capable of wiring and installing a new consumer unit but was under the impression I wasn’t allowed to legally.

Is my only option to pay a part P electrician to do everything?

Or can I notify building control, undertake the work myself as a non-registered electrical installer and get a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.

contact the third party before you start.

you will be interested to see the cost.

Thanks, I believe I’m capable of wiring and installing a new consumer unit but was under the impression I wasn’t allowed to legally.
The only legal aspects are that the Building Control is notified by one of the accepted methods - see below, and this Building Regulation is complied with:
upload_2019-12-30_0-6-15.png

Is my only option to pay a part P electrician to do everything Or can I notify building control, undertake the work myself as a non-registered electrical installer ?
Either you notify the BC before you start, and pay their hefty fee, and see if they deem you competent, OR
employ a registered electrician (what you are incorrectly calling a Part P one) who will notify through his registration scheme on completion, OR

and get a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.
you employ a third party registered electrician if you can find one to advise and supervise you throughout the work.

Is my only option to pay a part P electrician to do everything?

Or can I notify building control, undertake the work myself as a non-registered electrical installer and get a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.

But need to clarify if you can use 3C and E instead of T and E, and how to use it.

Do you have a copy of the regs? Have you done any practical work or calculations based on their contents?

But need to clarify if you can use 3C and E instead of T and E, and how to use it.

Do you have a copy of the regs? Have you done any practical work or calculations based on their contents?

I’m not an electrician so no I haven’t read the regs.

I have run ring circuits and lights before, with 2 way switches, which were then signed off by an electrician. But this was when I lived in a different part of the country and I knew the electrician so he did me a favour and I’m not sure on how common it is in the trade. I’m sure there are many things that I’ve done over the years that I technically shouldn’t have. But I have a basic understanding of how it all works but on this one (my house) is like it officially signed off which is why I ask if I can run them and get them signed off like I have been able to previously.

I’m not an electrician so no I haven’t read the regs.

I have run ring circuits and lights before, with 2 way switches, which were then signed off by an electrician. But this was when I lived in a different part of the country and I knew the electrician so he did me a favour and I’m not sure on how common it is in the trade. I’m sure there are many things that I’ve done over the years that I technically shouldn’t have. But I have a basic understanding of how it all works but on this one (my house) is like it officially signed off which is why I ask if I can run them and get them signed off like I have been able to previously.
Officially the answer is an emphatic NO. However there is nothing wrong with an electrician designing the changes and employing somebody do some of the work [this is how a junior menber of staff is covered] before he does the final testing/instection/certificate etc. If your chosen electrician is happy to employ you to do some of the work then so be it.

The solution is to find your electrician and get him on board early and on your planning application.

Try to avoid using the 3 core+E cable for the spotlights.

Most of these fittings have push in terminals and are designed for 2 core+E cables, and your 3 core+E cable will be a bit on the big side, especially to accommodate unused wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back