Electrical Certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having my kitchen remodelled by a local firm who are also doing the plumbing and electric. I am thinking of getting an independant electrician to come in and inspect their work. Where should I look for one? At what stage should I get one in and roughly how much do they normally charge for this type of work?

Sponsored Links
Check that this 'kitchen fitter' is part P registered, ask to see evidence he is.

If he isn't then inform him you will have the electrics done by a qualified electrician and get this quoted for and delete from his costs. (Some of them are a right rip off when it comes to electrics and plumbing BTW)

If you're unsure of them or their work don't let them start, you're paying, you choose.

Let us know how you get on

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately they have already started and have added all the new sockets and undercabinet lighting throughout the kitchen.

I didn't know anything about the Regulations & Certification until I joined this website yesterday to ask a question about grid switch faceplates.

When I told my electrician about the switches he didn't know what they were and I got the impression he didn't know what to do with them.

Which has me now thinking maybe I should get his work double checked.

I didn't know anything about the Regulations & Certification until I joined this website yesterday to ask a question about grid switch faceplates.

When I told my electrician about the switches he didn't know what they were and I got the impression he didn't know what to do with them.

If you can open up one of the sockets safely then take a look to see if it has any rubber grommets where the cable enters the back box, check to see if there's earth sleeviing and if the face plates are metal see if they've been earthed. I'd be surprised if the certificate you get is worth the paper it's written on - that's if you actually get one.

Sponsored Links
He probably doesn't know about grid switches because all he will ever put in are sockets, FCU's and cabinet lights :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You could right now try to get a sparky to come in and check his work (wait until he has gone for the day) this will save you any embarassment if his work isn't 'dodgy' and it would give you peace of mind, and a dent in your pocket :(

If your 'registered' electrician tells you it is not compliant and will give you written evidence (PIR) then you have the leverage to deal with the fitter.

He may be a great kitchen fitter but a useless sparky!!

If you can open up one of the sockets safely then take a look to see if it has any rubber grommets where the cable enters the back box, check to see if there's earth sleeviing and if the face plates are metal see if they've been earthed. I'd be surprised if the certificate you get is worth the paper it's written on - that's if you actually get one.

Do you mean to say that electricians walk about with fake Part P certification documents??? :eek:

Who should a "trustworthy" electrician be registered with and what written proof should he provide me to verify his qualifications and roughly how much would an electrician usually charge for this type of service.

Ideally the electrician should be registered with a competent person scheme. This means that he can self-certify compiance with the building regulations. Such schemes include NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, ECA and BSI.

If he is not a member of one of the schemes then to remain within the law the local authority building control should have been notified and a fee paid before the work started. It would then be up to them to oversee compliance with the building regs.

Spark 123 is absolutely right.
So first of all find out if he is going to give a certificate for the work. If so find out which organisation he is with. He should tell you straight out.

Otherwise inform the LABC of what's going on, they should advise you further what you should do.

That is of course assuming the OP is in England or Wales - sorry forgot to ask :oops:

Based in England. NorthWest London.

Ok I have spoken to the fitter. He is not part P registered but tells me that for £200.00 he can have his registered electrician (who has never been on site) certify his work and provide me with a certificate.

I have spoken with a few other electricians who have all said they are unwilling to come in and inspect and then certify somebody else's work. but for £50.00 they will look at the the work that has been done and let me know if they can spot any problems.

Do I have any other choice than to go down the route suggested by the fitter. Also what happens if I get the work independantly inspected but not certified (not something I am seriously considering, but I would like to know?).

What the fitter has done is illegal. All the electricians you have spoke to are correct, they cannot sign off work done by someone else as their own. Was the electrics part of your original contract? If it was then it is up to him to have it done within the law, not up to you to stump up another £200 for it.

Electric work is part of the contract but there is no mention of the cost of having the electrics certified. Which is why I didn't know certification until I registered with this site.

So if the fitter waives the £200.00 and gets his electrician to come in and certify the work the regulations wil have been met and I can put my mind at ease.

Or do you mean that all of the work that the fitter has done is illegal and will need to be entirely redone by another electrician before it can be certified??

Technically, the fitter should not be carrying out electrical work as he is not a member of a competent person scheme unless he uses the LABC route.
I think you will find the schemes frown upon any member certifying other peoples work.
I'm not saying it will be necessary to have it done again, I just don't see why you should have to stump up £200 for the privelige of complying with the law when you have already contracted someone to do the work.

It seems clear to me that if I go down the fitters route his work will get certifed by his perhaps electrician, perhaps even when it shouldn't???

What are the ramifications of not getting the electric work certified?

Ok I have spoken to the fitter. He is not part P registered but tells me that for £200.00 he can have his registered electrician (who has never been on site) certify his work and provide me with a certificate.
Tell him that when you employed him to fit the kitchen you naturally assumed he would comply with the law, and that he will get the work certified at no extra expense.

Find out if his "registered electrician" is going to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations, and notify the work through his scheme as having been carried out by him, or if he's only going to issue an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate), which would not resolve the notification issue at all.

Don't pay the fitter until everything is sorted out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back