Electrical gremlins...

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently put low voltage spotlights in a few rooms upstairs, but didnt alter the lights in the bathroom at all. An electrician bought me all the lights and said they would be fine in terms of not overloading the lighting circuit and for the last month or so everything has been fine.

Recently the lights in the bathroom (3 spotlights) have slightly flickered and i thought nothing of it... Now sometimes they even go out completely and then turn on within half an hour or so.

Im assuming its likely related to the work i've done but could someone please help me figure out what it could be?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This sounds like the feed (which is usually daisy chained from one room to the other via the ceiling rose/light fittings) has a loose connection at the fitting in the room before it feeds the bathroom.

This situation case cause fires in some circumstances so get it looked at ASAP.

Check all connections, you are looking for loose connections and possibly signs of arcing/burning...... not good....

Thanks for the speedy response. thats what i'd suspected but didnt know where to look, so its going to be the ceiling rose in the hallway i guess as this is the one that supplies the bathroom.

thanks again

Sponsored Links
i'll check them both out. thanks for the info. i'll also post back tomorrow with what i find!

The ceiling rose before the bathroom is fine, no signs of arcing and all the connections are neat and tidy. I went to check the one above the bathroom and found that the 3 spotlights above dont look like they should be over a bathroom (altho i could be wrong) and are 12v.

What do I check now? In a way i was hoping to see an obviously loose wire! heres some pictures of whats above the bathroom:

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Those connections should really be made in a junction box such as an ashley junction box or a wago junction box. The PVC outer sleeve of all fixed wiring must enter the accessory/junction box etc. However, as you say that does not explain the loose connection.

My recommendations were based on possible disruption related to the work you did on the other lights. It was a reasonable assumption but may be wrong.

Look at the following:

1) Check the connections to the bathroom switch.
2) Check the switch too since they can develop poor contacts.
3) Are any other lights flickering in any other room(s)?

Do you have a multimeter or other method to measure resistance?
If so then we could talk you (write you) through a test procedure.

Worst case a securely made test lamp or buzzer using a battery & bulb/buzzer would do the job.

By the way, it can sometimes be tricky to spot loose connections. I often use a pair of insulated ,pointed pliers (the slightly angled ones) and test each wire one at a time by just tugging lightly on it.

By the way, never work on live electrics! Switch off at the consumer unit/fuse board.

That MultiMeter will work just fine for general resistance measurements.

Does it have a buzzer on it? Not absolutely required but its useful for these sorts of applications because it means you don't have to keep staring at the screen. Looking at the picture of it I see that you have a semiconductor test position on it (the little diode symbol) just anti-clockwise one click of the 200hm range setting. Those usually bleep on seeing a low resistance so you could use that setting. Test it by selecting that setting and shorting the leads, should beep!

There are several ways to test lighting circuits but I hope this may be the most appropriate for your circumstances. It is by no means the quickest way but it will provide a systematic method that is safe.

Turn Power Off at the consumer unit, pull the appropriate lighting fuse if there is one. If you have MCBs then switch off the MCB and place tape over it or tape the consumer unit cover shut.

1) First check the bathroom light switch, I am assuming a pullcord in the bathroom or a switch on hallway wall.
a ) Look at where the two wires enter the back of the switch: are they secure
b) remove the wires and place the MM probes into the switch connections.
Flick the switch and see if that registers on the meter (bleep for ON, Over Limit for OFF)

If you have a pullcord (not always easy to take down) then you could perform a similar check by identifying the switch wires at the ceiling rose/junction box and probing those while someone pulls the cord for you.

If that has not identified the problem then:

Have a look at this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/_media/electrics:lighting:ceilingroses2qs.jpg?cache=cache

1- Switch off the main switch of the consumer unit (CU)
2- Open up the CU
3- Identify the appropriate lighting circuit.
4- Remove the live from the MCB
5- Remove the Neutral from the Neutral block
6- Connect the live and neutral together with a chock block or similar secure method, don't twist them together.
7- Remove all lamps on that entire lighting circuit (if you cant easily remove the lamps then be absolutely sure the switches are in the off position.
8- Go to the bathroom ceiling rose/junction box and probe the feed wires the ones that come from the CU as shown in the wiki drawing

9- You should now see the short (low resistance) of the live-neutral that you connected together at the CU. If not then using a pair of needle nose pliers gently tug/move one wire at a time. Remember that this particular test is testing only the feed (not the switch wires) you will have tested the bathroom switch & switch wires prior to this point.
10- if this yields no progress then repeat 8 to 9 on the hallway position.
11- if that yields no results then work back to the next position and so on.

Any odd results, uncertainties or problems then come back on here and we'll talk you through it.

Just a note: I am assuming you are reasonably confident with electrical wiring and that you know how to work safe on final circuits and on the consumer unit. Very high risk of injury within a consumer unit so switch it off at the main double pole switch before removing the cover. Stay away from busbars/main switch.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hpd
ive just got in from work and have had a read through what you've advised. I'll be going through all of this thoroghly tomorrow morning to get it sorted and will post back and solutions or problems.

Im reasonably competent at basic electrical things and im to kill the power to the whole house before going near anything.

Its bound to be a loose connection at one of the ceiling roses.

really appreciate the time to help me out. thanks a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back