Electrical Installation Installation and Testing

Sponsored Links
Yes, it appears your BC is different, on first fix inspection I asked if he would come back to do dead tests before I connected up, he said "no, ring when its all up and running and I will come and check it." That was it, no testing, no certificates required. I was pleased that I had done my own testing otherwise dead tests would not have been done at all

(I believe) they can't charge for testing
They can.

I was just going from this (my emphasis) :
For the DIY person there are some different rules. The problem lies in the Installation or Minor Works certificate which to issue you must satisfy the LABC you have the skills. The LABC could in theory refuse permission to do the work. Although they never asked me for a plan of what I was doing I suppose it would be reasonable to ask for some description. Once they accept your request they become responsible for site safety. They would be within their rights to insist on viewing at set stages of the work and requiring a final inspection before being powered up.
For some reason they are not required to issue an installation or minor works certificate although I can’t see why this is not issued. But also they are not allowed to charge any additional fees to test the installation even if they use a third party to do the testing. Although we hear loads of stories of how they have requested extra fees

I was sure I'd come across similar statements before.

Seems my LABC simply get round the issue by charging higher fees for work that needs testing.

Explain how you would notify and not pay their prices?

That's not what I said, Bas.

You commented the following

For their prices they can do one.

As the fee is the fee and you have no choice in how much you pay it's fair to assume one of two things but I lean more towards the first - basically stuff them, I'll carry out what DIY electrical work I like and they can do one if they think I'm paying their extortionate fee's, second being you'll use an electrician who's a member of a competent persons scheme that can self notify for all your future notifiable electrical work.

Sponsored Links
I was just going from this (my emphasis) :
For the DIY person there are some different rules. The problem lies in the Installation or Minor Works certificate which to issue you must satisfy the LABC you have the skills. The LABC could in theory refuse permission to do the work. Although they never asked me for a plan of what I was doing I suppose it would be reasonable to ask for some description. Once they accept your request they become responsible for site safety. They would be within their rights to insist on viewing at set stages of the work and requiring a final inspection before being powered up.
For some reason they are not required to issue an installation or minor works certificate although I can’t see why this is not issued. But also they are not allowed to charge any additional fees to test the installation even if they use a third party to do the testing. Although we hear loads of stories of how they have requested extra fees
That post is over 3 years old.

Things have changed.

The Wiki is up to date: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:diy-electrical-work-and-the-law#labc-issues

That's not what I said, Bas.
Really?

(I believe) they can't charge for testing
They can.
For their prices they can do one.
What choice would you have? Break the law?
Not at all, notify and show them your test result schedule.

If you say so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back