Electrical like burning aroma from washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks
I'm new to the forum and have been trawling through many posts
and there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on here.I was
hoping someone or two may help with an Indesit wixl 143 washing machine(just over a year old now).As the title says,there was a distinct smell eminating from it last
night when being used.Before I start taking it apart to have a butchers
tomorrow can anyone give me some pointers to what to look into.I have a
very basic understanding of how these machines work but would benefit from someone more knowledgeable.
Thanks in advance to any answers.

Sponsored Links
can you remember what part off the cycle it was on so you can work out whats in use
as in heater/waterpump/motor/solenoid ect

check the multifunction control (the one that selects the programmes) if you can get BBC3 its F****d :LOL:

all joking apart the control is a regular fault as is the heater element in the washer / dryers the other thing is the motor is low down and if water leaks it usually gets the motor!!

O.K Found the problem after removing the top cover of the machine.It turns out to be a bad connection (burnt) on the brown cable (live) going into what looks like a 'capacitor'/ filter,smoothing unit.Its at the back top right corner of the machine(where the main supply goes to).
I cant find anything else amiss,so hedge my bets the above is the problem.
I have made a temporary repair ( I was an electrician many moons ago) until i can source a replacement component (if thats possible) without having to pay too much of her majesty's sterling.
Does anyone know if it might be a purchaseable part?
I'll try Indesit,but expect (a) its gonna cost me mega (b) sorry sir its not a replacement part therefore we are doing some good offer's on new washing machines.
Thanks for the reply's

Sponsored Links
Mains surpresser 11.00 for a round one , 17.00 for a square one

Thanks for the info rocks1.Would those prices be the St Lucian Dollar? ;) or the her majesty's sterling and where can I obtain them from.Mine would be the 'round' suppressor by the way. :D

english pounds from the hotpoint website .cheap for the round one as well :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back