Electrical/Plumbing.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help as I'm not sure where to post this topic. I have currently had an "unvented" pressurised water cylinder fitted. (Santon : 2x 3kw, 170 Litres. This cylinder has replaced our old gravity fed tank working on Economy 7 switch, which was installed with our night storage heaters. All was working fine, until now......The plumber (who is my brother) says he had connected the new cylinder to the economy seven switch in exactly the same way as the old tank had been connected but, when our new tank was installed and all ready for go, the switch tripped the electrics. It doesn't trip when the hot water is in the "off" position but, as soon as I switch over to "timed hot water" bang! trips out again :confused: . I've bought another control switch exactly the same as I suspected the digital board inside may have been damaged in the existing one..its not that, same thing happens...A fused switch added , same again.....Both thermostats have been tested with terminal blocks, electric does not trip!!?. There's a 20 Amp fuse in the consumer unit so it cant be that. Who invented the word BAFFLED :( :?: It's got me.....Even the electrician let me down and never showed. Hope someone can help. Im burning my fuse box to help me sleep!!!!

Sponsored Links
Not clear if you're talking about an RCD trip or a fuse. Whatever, if the trip's tripping, you have a fault! EIther wiring or within the heater. The wiring is not the same as a normal immersion heater, by the way.

Cheers for the reply mate. It's tripping the "Immersion Heater" in the RCD.

Sponsored Links
bedazzled said:
Cheers for the reply mate. It's tripping the "Immersion Heater" in the RCD.

It's the wider RCD, (no electric) I have now wired the main thermosat straight to the RCD. Neither that nor the MCB has tripped? Boost thermostat has also been tested this way, same result, no trips, but, I just had a thought....should my hot water timer/control have more than a 13 amp fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back