electrical problems or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently started my own building business.
i have built an extension and got a friend of mine to do the electrics.
subsequently ive been informed that i need some sort of certificate before it will pass regulations.he has not got the certificate i need,what happens now?
regards,ianp808. :confused:

Sponsored Links
you mean part p?

if yes, then your currently exempt is if was started last year

You will have to get a counciling body (local council) to come and test+inspect it. Or find a person who if registered for an organisation e.g. 'NICEIC registered' to come and test+inspect the installation. and write a certificate.

I'm sure i'll be corrected if i have made a 'spelling misake'?

Carloss

Sponsored Links
ianp808 said:
do they need to see the 1st fix wiring?

theyll test it and issue a certificate. but see my first post.

Thought it was OK to use the "started last year" excuse only up to April??

something else maybe someone can clarify

the fact that there was wiring to be done was on the plans right?

and building control approved the plans for the extention right?

so surely you have already notified building control and its up to them to do any inspections they want.

Plugwash your bang on, I'm nearly at completion of my extension asked local building control where I stand with the electrical works as I've done it myself (not yet part p qualified), reply was dont worry the plans were passed last year so it's like a contract & exempt part p.
But the same bc (berkshire) stated they were not sure what they have to do with regard to part p, when I called before doing some notifiable work for some one else.

Gentlemen Gentlemen, with respect, your getting confused somewhat. The Certificates he needs are Completion and Initial Test and Verifcation.

Part P means these are notifiable, but forget that junk, he needs to have the new installations tested and inspected and for insurance purposes these will need to be done by an NICEIC Registered Firm/Spark or someone allowed to Self Certify under a Domestic Installer scheme from any of the organisations.

I am very concerned though that a person starting a compnay is not aware of their legal obligations in this respect, and why are you getting a spark in that cannot test. All sparks should be able to test and Inspect, and all can issue certificates, however these will carry less legal weight than those from Registered Installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back