Electrical requirements for a power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a power shower, one which has an integral pump but no heating element, what are the electrical requirements?

Does it need:

1. A ceiling switch like an electically heated shower?
OR
2. A fused spur off the 30 Amp ring main?
OR
3. A dedicated switched connection back to the consumer unit?
OR
4. Something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Graham

Sponsored Links
A fused spur off the ring, fused at 3A I would expect, with an integeral 30ma rcd if the ring is not rcd protected

Andy,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but just a note to say thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
You need to have the FCU easily and readily accessible. I installed mine next to the switch for my immersion heater which is installed right next to my bathroom as this seems most logical to me, plus mine is a separate pump so is in the same cupboard.

Sticking it in the loft above the bathroom isn't allowed, as far as I am aware. I mention that one as that would have been the easiest place to install mine due to the cable runs. But, it would have meant to isolate the pump you would need to climb up into the loft. Not exactly desirable when wet and naked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back